Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Little known programs which are really good

[ QUOTE ]
To start off, my latest discovery is Clone High. Put simply its perhaps the best animated comedy ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clone High was decent and it had it's moments, but I could easily name 10 funnier cartoons. There is no way you actually think it's funnier than The Simpsons or South Park.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention:
The I.T. crowd

Probably only funny if you're geeky, though.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To start off, my latest discovery is Clone High. Put simply its perhaps the best animated comedy ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clone High was decent and it had it's moments, but I could easily name 10 funnier cartoons. There is no way you actually think it's funnier than The Simpsons or South Park.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would agree.
King of the Hill
South Park
Simpsons
Family Guy (and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like family guy)
Futurama
And that is just off the top of my head.
People really overrate tv shows which have one or two good seasons. Take the best 13 episodes of the shows I listed and watch them in succession and you would think those shows were incredible.

Also Sports Night isn't a little know show.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Isn't Wonder Showzen supposed to be incredible? I've still never watched more than about 15 seconds of it.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Hex on BBC and Strange Days on DiscoveryScience channel.

Jimbo
Old 05-13-2007, 07:15 PM

Police Squad was awesome.
The shoe-shine guy who knew everything never made it into the Naked Gun movies and his bits were pretty hilarious.
But practically everything about that show was hilarious.

Also agree on The Critic with Jon Lovitz. Really funy stuff.
Dr. Katz was a good show too.

The old Ben Stiller Show with Ben Stiller, Janeane Garafolo, Andy Dick and Bob Odenkirk had some really really hilarious sketches. A Few Good Scouts which was a parody of a Few Good Men was really terrific.
Information 411 which was a parody of Emergency 911 was really funny too.

Comedy Central did a 6 episode trial with some British comedians called the Hollow Men which I thought had some of the funniest sketches I had ever seen.
No idea why they didn't pick that up for more. Too expensive perhaps.
But it was ridiculously hilarious and way better than some of their other shows (like that stupid Reno 911 show which I can't even watch).

Northern Exposure was reasonably well-known but I know a lot of people who have never heard of it and I don't think the re-runs are shown on any station anymore.
I have the first 3 seasons on DVD. Some of the episodes are amazing, thought-provoking and hilarious all at the same time.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Seriously, some of these are very well known.

I like "To Catch a Thief", I think on the Discovery Channel. Two ex-cons show some family or roommates or whoever in a house how bad their security system sucks by mock-breaking in their house. Jon, who is the one who does the breaking in, goes in, breaking windows, taking out drawers and throwing stuff around, uplifting mattresses for no reason, just for dramatics. The other guy sits in a van with the family watching everything on closed circuit tvs. Afterwards, they clean the mess up for them and install a kickass security system.

Eh, I like it. Sounds boring when you type it out.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coupling (and all british comedy; the might bush, the original office)

[/ QUOTE ]

All British comedy? You're kidding, right? Some is brilliant, but the brits have a special capacity for producing terrible sitcoms.

That said, a British comedy I've recently watched and enjoyed is Spaced. Ran for two seasons and starred Simon Pegg, who's the guy behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Maybe it's bigger in other parts of the world, but I hadn't heard of it until I started reading some of the publicity for Hot Fuzz.

Simon Pegg is also in a british sketch comedy show called Big Train which was brilliant for at least the first season (I never saw any more, and some of the youtube clips look so so). Some clips: Wanking in the office, Cat and mouse bar fight

On a different front, Wilfred, a new low budget Australian comedy starring a guy in a dog suit is brilliant. Wilfred's hopes and aspirations, a highlights reel.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coupling (and all british comedy; the might bush, the original office)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this 'Office' you speak of?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM

I really like coupling - but its definately best if you totally ignore the final season.

A lot of people compare it to Friends (though it is better than Friends) and the final season had Geoff leaving, which is the equivilent of not having Joey or Chandler in the last season of Friends - it threw off the chemistry and shows make up and the writers just couldnt make up for loosing the strongest character.

I guess its pretty well known here, but Spaced is probably my favourite all time TV show - there is nothing wrong with the show in any sense, though its nature means there are a lot of people it simply doesnt connect with.

League of Gentlemen is probably the best 'dark' comedy ive seen - with the highlight being its Christmas Special which no one watched because it was shown Xmas Eve. Again, its another love it or hate it show, but i loved it.

I really liked the IT Crowd - but a lot of my friends, even the geekiest of geeky ones simply didnt like it. I think a lot of that came down to them prejudging it so harshly that they couldnt bring themselves to connect with the show when they saw it.

-----

I think Clone High is better than all those listed animated comedies (and im a fan of all to one degree or another, though my liking of the Simpsons died long ago) - i agree that you could probably take 13 of the best episodes of South Park and it would stack up, but the rest simply dont have a chance - especially Simpsons which is a pretty weak show overall.

But yeah, my opinion, not expecting to convert or argue someone to my cause, just the way i see it.