Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 v. 8
A. Jolie 62 83.78%
C. Theron 12 16.22%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: *** Official NCAA Football Week of 9/16 Thread ***

Ordinarily I'd agree with you. However, while we can't just run up the gut all game, our strength certainly appears to be the running game. ND has looked vulnerable to the rush thus far (per MGOBLOG, and I trust his analysis), so this bodes well. Also, our receivers thus far have the drops, I'm still not sold on Henne, and the O-line in pass protection is a disaster in the making. So while we certainly can't run 55 times a la Bo, I'd really prefer us to pound the ball most of the game, simply because that figures to be the most effective means of generating yards and points.

But yeah, a pass or two in the middle of the field and/or deep would be something. We oughta tell Deboard that rule changes now permit such plays.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem in the past for Leak hasnt been because of good secondary but rather good DL combined with a mediocre O-line. The UF O-line this year is young, but they seem to be coming together well and definitely have some talent. Harrell playing with a torn bicep doesnt speak well for UT, because I just cant see how a DL can be effective with a torn bicep. Course he'll be all hopped on painkillers so maybe that will help mitigate it some but that wont make the torn muscle any more functional. Whats your prediction for the game Pirateboy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does speak well for UT. Dan Brooks had the same injury when he played, and he said you can be as effective as normal. Harrell will play out of his mind for his last game in orange. I've read about the torn bicep injury and with the proper brace and everything (obviously) he will be able to do what he does. Does that change the entire landscape of this game? Absolutely not.

This game, like many rivalry games, isn't about stats. Leak's past performances against good Ds doesn't mean he won't carve Tennessee up tomorrow. He very well could.

My unbiased sports betting prediction is UT 21, UF 20

It could just as easily be the other way around. I don't think either team is running away with this one. I will say this: A lot of Florida fans (not the ones in this thread or site) are feeling like you all will manhandle us. It won't happen. Our DL will eat your OL for lunch, and the same will happen with your excellent DL. Should be a classic.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:11 PM

From Scouts.com, via ESPN (link):

"Scouts' Edge

The Wolverines leave the comforts of home for the first time this season after looking under whelming in two victories over Vanderbilt and Central Michigan. They travel to Notre Dame Stadium to take on an Irish team fresh off its steam rolling of Penn State, which was ranked 19th at the time. Lloyd Carr is feeling the heat in Ann Arbor, while Charlie Weis is being adorned in South Bend. Quinn is posing for magazine covers, while Henne is dealing with boo-birds in the Big House. Also do not forget that Michigan is riding a six-game losing streak in road openers.

With all that in mind, a comfortable Notre Dame victory seems inevitable. But don't get lulled to sleep by statistics and hype. These two teams are evenly matched athletically. In fact, an argument could easily be made for Michigan having better all-around talent. Notre Dame has far more to lose in this game and Michigan will be playing with a chip on its shoulder following last year's embarrassing loss in front of its home crowd.

Finally, for all the criticism he endures, Carr is a proven big-game coach with a 15-6 record versus top-10 teams, including three wins in four tries versus the second-ranked team in the country. When it's all said and done; a faster, healthier and more motivated Michigan team will stun Notre Dame this Saturday in an upset that will drastically change the 2006 college football landscape.

Prediction: Wolverines 24, Fighting Irish 23"

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But yeah, a pass or two in the middle of the field and/or deep would be something. We oughta tell Deboard that rule changes now permit such plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

For sure. Another thing: why don't we bring back the waggle pass? Remember '97? Griese to Tuman using the waggle play worked twice a game for big yards. Since then, we've almost totally abanonded that play. I still cannot understand why.

You are right, though. We are going to have to dominate the running game and keep Quinn off the field. If we are in third and long on a frequent basis, it will be a nightmare. With our suspect pass protection, Henne will get killed after a bunch of 3rd and 9s.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For sure. Another thing: why don't we bring back the waggle pass? Remember '97? Griese to Tuman using the waggle play worked twice a game for big yards. Since then, we've almost totally abanonded that play. I still cannot understand why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't been watching games this seasons have you?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely back. We've run it a bunch of times in the first two games -- and each time the TEs have been wide open. I distinctly remember Butler being on the receiving end of the waggle and getting tackled head-over-heels against CMU last Saturday.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't been watching games this seasons have you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't get to see the CMU game. Glad it is back. If only I was as big a fan as you..then my life would be complete.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem in the past for Leak hasnt been because of good secondary but rather good DL combined with a mediocre O-line. The UF O-line this year is young, but they seem to be coming together well and definitely have some talent. Harrell playing with a torn bicep doesnt speak well for UT, because I just cant see how a DL can be effective with a torn bicep. Course he'll be all hopped on painkillers so maybe that will help mitigate it some but that wont make the torn muscle any more functional. Whats your prediction for the game Pirateboy? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does speak well for UT. Dan Brooks had the same injury when he played, and he said you can be as effective as normal. Harrell will play out of his mind for his last game in orange. I've read about the torn bicep injury and with the proper brace and everything (obviously) he will be able to do what he does. Does that change the entire landscape of this game? Absolutely not.

This game, like many rivalry games, isn't about stats. Leak's past performances against good Ds doesn't mean he won't carve Tennessee up tomorrow. He very well could.

It could just as easily be the other way around. I don't think either team is running away with this one. I will say this: A lot of Florida fans (not the ones in this thread or site) are feeling like you all will manhandle us. It won't happen. Our DL will eat your OL for lunch, and the same will happen with your excellent DL. Should be a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that Florida runs an offense somewhat similar to Air Force's, at least in terms of what they attempt to do to the defense. Tenn was getting out of position a lot against USAFA and got 31 points hung on them as a result.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that Florida runs an offense somewhat similar to Air Force's, at least in terms of what they attempt to do to the defense. Tenn was getting out of position a lot against USAFA and got 31 points hung on them as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no they don't.

Air Force runs the triple option from the flexbone. If Tim Tebow was playing the entire game, you might be at least somewhat close. With Tebow next season, the Gators will run the spread option, which is close but not the same. Florida's gameplan under Meyer with Leak at quarterback is nowhere even in the same stratosphere to what Air Force does. Not even remotely close.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no they don't.

Air Force runs the triple option from the flexbone. If Tim Tebow was playing the entire game, you might be at least somewhat close. With Tebow next season, the Gators will run the spread option, which is close but not the same. Florida's gameplan under Meyer with Leak at quarterback is nowhere even in the same stratosphere to what Air Force does. Not even remotely close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you completely missed my point. But thats ok, I didnt expect much from a Vol anyhow. You can go back to watching Jeff Foxworthy now. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]