The Punisher (Thomas Jane) 57 49.14%
Flash Gordon (1980) 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: a dumb basketball hypothetical question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would go with Shaq and 3 guys who could pass it to Shaq vs. an average D1 team all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if the game includes shooting free throws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well enjoy fouling all your players out if the game is like what he's refering too. Shaq would be so dominating against D1 kids that the only way to slow him down is if he "gets a serious case of rimcrotch".

[/ QUOTE ]
If they know how to foul hard enough to knock him off balance, they could send him to the line quite a bit. If on those possessions they only average at most a point because he is about a 45% FT shooter or whatever, I would guess this would be bad for his team. Plus the other team could use their entire bench to do it.

Honestly, I don't think you'd need to even double team him (remember, they'd have an extra guy) in order to pull this off. Unless they're throwing alley-oops - a valid concern - he's going to have to catch the ball. Just wrap him up when he does, or as he catches it.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM

i'm with KC... no Shaq for sure. These guys are gonna have to cover a ton of ground on defense and that just isn't Shaq. Didn't Wilt average 48 minutes one year? I'd probably go with him, or maybe Karl Malone. Hell a '96 finals lineup of Jordan/Pippen/Stockton/Malone would be pretty close to ideal.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Call me crazy, but I think Wilt, Russell, Jordan and Oscar Robertson could handle Adam Morrison and the Bobcats.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Walter Hermann dude, Walter Hermann.

I'd probably go Wilt, KG, Jordan for sure. 4th starter I'm having difficulty with. I'm thinking a PG is unnecessary/detrimental because you give up on size and reach, though I'm still debating Stockton here. I almost want to say Barkley. Yeah, Barkley. I need some intimidation if we're playing a man down. He gonna hurt somebody.

Bench: Hakeem (maybe I'd start him over KG), Russell, Stockton, Dr J.
Coach: Al Jefferson. With a roster like this, he's got about as much business telling them what to do as Jackson, Riley, or Red would. So might as well let my favorite player hang out. Russell would probably be the real coach.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM

why would anyone need a point guard with jordan and wilt on the floor? do those two have trouble creating scoring opportunities? replace the PG with a versatile, lengthy defender. game over.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would anyone need a point guard with jordan and wilt on the floor? do those two have trouble creating scoring opportunities? replace the PG with a versatile, lengthy defender. game over.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other team could double the man bringing it up all game long. While MJ is a great player, he would turn that over a few times per game probably.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other team could double the man bringing it up all game long. While MJ is a great player, he would turn that over a few times per game probably.

[/ QUOTE ]considering he averaged 2.73 turnovers throughout his career, it would probably be more than "a few" since he already averaged "a few".

but no team would double jordan brining up the ball because he just needs to feed it into wilt in half court and suddenly the game becomes 2 random players vs. 2 of the greatest players in histroy.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
None of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol?

Perhaps you don't know the depths of D1 basketball.

Central CT State? And they made the tourney! I might even take 3 on 5.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM

It really depends on how well this team can defend. I have no problem saying that Jordan + a dominating center can score on 5 guys, but I think almost any NBA team should be able to find an open man and shoot.

I think the answer has to be either scrub NBA team or average d1 team. Average d1 team gets pwned, but scrub NBA team?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It really depends on how well this team can defend. I have no problem saying that Jordan + a dominating center can score on 5 guys, but I think almost any NBA team should be able to find an open man and shoot.

I think the answer has to be either scrub NBA team or average d1 team. Average d1 team gets pwned, but scrub NBA team?

[/ QUOTE ]consider how badly scrub nba teams shoot nowadays. the team of 4 packs the middle and the open man will usually be a no name with a wide open mid to long range jumper. who scores more often? that guy, or wilt doubled teamed by 2 more nba scrubs?