Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Am I supposed to fold here? I hate live poker.

i only know of one woman regular that plays at foxwoods in the 5-10nl and up games. she isn't very tricky. i would describe her as straight forward, and unable to fold an overpair ever. she has a tendency to slowplay overpairs on the flop and then bomb it on the turn or river when only a better hand will call her. I think this is exactly how she would play QQ, JJ, or some kind of nine.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fixed. You never have to be ahead more than 50% of the time to call. Pot odds say you have to win the hand 43% of the time. If you're behind, 4% of the time you'll hit your 2-outer, so you only actually need to be ahead here 39% of the time.

not exactly right as you fail to mention being ahead when you get sucked out on

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I thought about it a bit more, you're right - you need to be ahead about 42-43% of the time.

It is slightly less than the pot odds of 43% however, because you'll suck out more often than she does, just because you're behind more often.

To see this, think of a situation where you had a pot of $48 your opponent pushes for $1 more. You don't think you're ahead but the pot odds mean you have to call if you win 2% of the time. You board is KK22, you have TT and for simplicity you know your opponent has AA 99% of the time or 88 1% of the time. Despite the fact that you're only ahead 1% of the time, you'll still win nearly 3% of the time, because it's only 2% of the 1% of the time when you're ahead that your opponent will suck out.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite the fact that you're only ahead 1% of the time, you'll still win nearly 3% of the time, because it's only 2% of the 1% of the time when you're ahead that your opponent will suck out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost vomited right here when i tried to make sense of it, but then realized what you meant on the third time through.

A brightly colored pie graph would have been helpful..
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 PM

This is definitely not complete air most of the time. In fact, I would say this is 9x fairly frequently, and wants to make it look like a draw. How big is the pot? 250+250+160+160=about $820. He shoves $2590 into 820. You're getting...1.3:1 odds. I just can't put him on a better pair than you, ESPECIALLY HU. Problem is, I see this is a bluff a lot with a small pair like 55 just to try to prevent u from hitting a free card with AK. What is her perception of u, and what does she think your reads/perception is of her? If she thinks you think she's a maniac, fold. I would be VERy scared, especially because she's tricky. How fast did u check the turn? How fast did she call flatcall the flop? I have a fairly tough time folding this to be honest, especially live. I see a LOT of people make this play heads up with air, draw, or small pair to protect it so the preflop reraiser doesn't hit any overs. I probably call here...results?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM

sry i retract my idea that this is 9x most of the time longer i think about it; so to make it short and sweet, call and feel pretty good since I would say because the drawiness of the board, I couldn't imagine most players checking here with TT, so yea, based on that, I call
Old 05-25-2007, 09:13 PM

bah nevermind
Old 05-25-2007, 09:39 PM

I can't see anything you beat -

nice fold [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2007, 03:57 AM

I think this is a pretty easy fold, as she has made quite an overbet (likely to protect against some strong draw she doesnt want to give implied odds to). You could be facing a 9 or a bigger overpair.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Half the people in this thread need to be banned.