Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Buying a guitar (electric)

Buy the cheapest POS guitar you can find and learn to play it. THEN figure out what kind of guitar/amp best suits you and how you play.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:55 AM

Seem like some knowledgable guitar folks in here, so I'm curious what y'all know about Gretsch electric guitars. I inherited one from my grandfather when he passed away, since I'm the only one in my family that has expressed any interest in music. Any suggestions on how to take care of it, where to get a custom case. I don't even know how much it's worth, but it's off the charts on sentimental value.

Thanks,
Apoc
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pay an extra 100 or so and pick up a fender strat(american made, could find one used too for cheap),

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't have to be american made. He could get a knock off(mexican version) and it'd sound decent enough to use. I have the mexican version and it works just fine.

A strat would give him lots of versatility soundwise. It's also very versatile as you can use it in many styles of music. So if he ever wants to branch out, it's easier to try new things on it.

Iirc, american mades tend to hold their value. Used ones weren't that much cheaper than the new ones. At least not when I was looking for one.

b
Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 AM

look at what the pros play...you simply wont see a shecter, stick with fender or gibson. you get what you pay for man
Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 AM

do not buy a new guitar unless you know that you want a certain one specifically (which will only be the case when you are an experienced guitarist).
buy a used "standard" one (i.e. on ebay): fender stratocaster or telecaster, gibson les paul or es335.
you will have a good guitar and can always sell it for the price you bought it.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:59 AM

Try out a G&L Tribute series for around 300 to 400, or even better look for an american model used. I have a G&L ASAT deluxe semi-hollow and it is easily the best guitar I have ever touched after 20 yrs of playing. Although my model is out of your price range I've seen some nice american models go for 600-700 on ebay.

For rock music look for something with at least a bridge pickup humbucker, this will give you the best distorted tone for Alice in Chains type stuff.

Get a small single speaker Marshall or Fender amp with built in distortion and effects to start. I would avoid the stomp box route for now, save that for when you know exactly what you want. Do not get a large amp for you bedroom. Large amps are designed to be cranked and sound pretty crappy at low volumes / not for studio practice sessions. Sizing your amp to your venue is critical.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:03 AM

Old Gretch guitars can be worth a ton of cash. Get it in a case immediately. Is it a hollow body? If it is get a small case humidifier.

Your best bet would be to take it to a reputable music shop, get it a "set-up", and ask the tech/luthier what he thinks. Set-up should cost around $50. They can order the right size case for around $100.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Old Gretch guitars can be worth a ton of cash. Get it in a case immediately. Is it a hollow body? If it is get a small case humidifier.

Your best bet would be to take it to a reputable music shop, get it a "set-up", and ask the tech/luthier what he thinks. Set-up should cost around $50. They can order the right size case for around $100.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good advice. a standard "set-up" won't cost much and it will make the guitar sound and play a lot better. guitars warp over time and need to be adjusted so that they stay in tune.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
look at what the pros play...you simply wont see a shecter

[/ QUOTE ]

Avenged Sevenfold uses Shecter. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/S...amp;src=3WFRWXX

But you should also realize that some artists use their guitar of choice simply because they are paid to do so.

Also depends on the type of music. Fender and Gibson are a lot less common in the metal world than in the rock world.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he offers you ANY money for it that day, DO NOT SELL IT to him. No matter how much he offers. This should be obvious, but you never know. If he says its valuable, PM me and I will help you figure out more info about it. If its a white falcon, ill [censored] a brick [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]