Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Ask Vulturesrow about life aboard an aircraft carrier...

What ships have you served on? My father served on 5 different carriers from the late 50s through the early 70s, including Intrepid, Enterprise, Coral Sea, Wasp, and one more I can't recall at the moment.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What ships have you served on? My father served on 5 different carriers from the late 50s through the early 70s, including Intrepid, Enterprise, Coral Sea, Wasp, and one more I can't recall at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

JFK and GW. Your brother is a bubblehead if I remember correctly, right?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 PM

Actually, a slightly more serious question. Has OPTEMPO slowed down for the Prowler squadrons? Used to feel pretty bad for the guys in our airwing (131), because they did 3 consecutive summers in the Gulf. I don't know how much demand there is any more since OSW shut down.

Which carrier has the best dog?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, a slightly more serious question. Has OPTEMPO slowed down for the Prowler squadrons? Used to feel pretty bad for the guys in our airwing (131), because they did 3 consecutive summers in the Gulf. I don't know how much demand there is any more since OSW shut down.

Which carrier has the best dog?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on shore duty, Im a bit out of the loop living here in Strike Fighter land. But OPTEMPO is still pretty high as far as I can tell, not to mention that I know a lot of guys who have been sent to Iraq under individual augmentation orders.

As far as best dog, I gotta go with GW of the two carriers Ive spent significant time on. The JFK was just a trainwreck in pretty much every sense of the term. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nuclear >>> Conventional
Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was; he retired after putting in his 20 on both ballistic missile boats and fast attack (Indianapolis and Dallas are the 2 Los Angeles class that I recall; I don't remember the boomer).

My grandfather graduated the Naval Academy in the mid 20s and went on to captain the seaplane tender USS Unimak during WWII, and my sister graduated in the mid 80s, she retired as a lieutenant commander. I had a second sister in the Navy as well, be she left in relatively short order (like me, couldn't take the being ordered around).

That makes me the son of a son of a sailor, I reckon. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 12:15 PM

some quality answers here from vulture
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was; he retired after putting in his 20 on both ballistic missile boats and fast attack (Indianapolis and Dallas are the 2 Los Angeles class that I recall; I don't remember the boomer).

My grandfather graduated the Naval Academy in the mid 20s and went on to captain the seaplane tender USS Unimak during WWII, and my sister graduated in the mid 80s, she retired as a lieutenant commander. I had a second sister in the Navy as well, be she left in relatively short order (like me, couldn't take the being ordered around).

That makes me the son of a son of a sailor, I reckon. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some serious salt in your family tree Boro, I knew there was something I liked about you in spite of your wacko political views. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some quality answers here from vulture

[/ QUOTE ]

TY Bruiser, much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some serious salt in your family tree Boro, I knew there was something I liked about you in spite of your wacko political views. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right back at ya.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM

OK, I've got one. My brother wants to be a dentist. To pay for dental school, he's considering joining the Navy rather than graduate with over a quarter million in debt. Myself, my dad, and especially my mom are not the least bit excited about this, considering that we're currently at war. So, my question is this: where does the navy put their dentists? Do they stick them on carriers? Smaller boats? Bases only?