Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
50 Cent or anyone else who calls rap music

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP AND QFT
Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 AM

50 Cent is as pop as Justin Timberlake, except he doesn't try to be black.

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Jackson - was Thriller really that great?

[/ QUOTE ] LOL

I nominate Coldplay
Old 07-14-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I confess. I don't like discussions of overrated ________ one bit. There's no quantitative or objective means to determine how a particular _________ is currently rated or should be rated, so most discussions of how a particular _________ is overrated begin with a few people mindlessly bashing on the most popular _________ in an effort to make themselves seem more informed, hip, or fashionable than the supposed masses that are in love with that most popular __________. Next up, we get people who call the people bashing that particular _________ retards, and that that particular _________ is as good as the masses think it is. If it wasn't, why would the masses love it so much, right? Finally, we get the original bashers to come back in the thread and say that they don't necessarily think that the popular ________ that they bashed is truly terrible, just that it's overrated. And still, no one knows exactly what that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... I see where you're coming from, but am inclined to disagree. Sure, different artists and songs mean different things to different people, but I am inclined to argue that some music is straight-up better than others. Example: Billy Joel - Piano Man >>>> Too Short - Blow Job Betty. I can't provide a quantitative analysis as to why, but isn't it sort of an a priori truth?

Not overrated:

-The Grateful dead (incidentally my favorite band ever). The tunes are catchy and the lyrics are fairly deep and thoughtful. QFT to whoever said that seeing this band live was unparalleled (I didn't, but have heard).

-The Doors, for much the same reasoning. A glass of electric kool-aid would probably help all the haters see the light w.r.t. these two bands.

-The Beatles is obvious attempt at levelling (I hope).

-Nirvana is not overrated... I'll easily vouch for the likes of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Polly," "Lake of Fire," and "Come As You Are." Like someone else said, they also helped define a genre. Cobain was ahead of his time.

Overrated:

-Nickelback. All their songs sound the exact same. I have a mild obsession with "How You Remind Me," but it's kind of like a car accident I can't help but stick my head out and observe.

-Dave Matthews Band. As somebody said, decidedly uninteresting... I could never figure out why this one was so popular among the college crowd.

-50 cent et al. I would venture to say that anybody who enjoys listening to this sort of music on a regular basis outside of a club-type setting has absolutely no value of artistic talent or integrity.

-Coldplay. "omg, I'm soooo depressed, I'm going to lock myself in my room and listen to Coldplay all day long." Am I off on this one?

My two cents.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus Radiohead.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 PM

The entire genre of Blues.

I think it if funny that so many people defend the blues, saying that they are the most talented people to ever play a guitar. I always ask two questions: "have you ever listened to three consecutive blues albums in a row?" and "can you name me ten blues artists." Oh, and seeing that they are losing their argument because they don't know what they are talking about, they continue on and say that Rock and Roll would not exist. Look at Eric Clapton (not knowing that "Tears in Heaven" is classically based, and he also has a book on classical out.), Jimmy Hendrix (yes, he loved the blues, but his style was highly influenced by gypsie music, if they can't see the connection, and country, which is not blues), and Jimmy Page (he discovered blues later in life).

Yes, there is not doubt that there is some influence in blues, and yes, some good music, but the genre in itself is repetitive and boring at worst, and great for live performance at best, with it's improvisation and all.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Grateful Dead - dull jam band, mystifyingly popular

stopped reading at this point of your post
Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 PM

Their early stuff was deadly dull to me, but their later stuff was sometimes really good. I can see thinking one way or another of them depending on what stuff you listened/when in their career you started listening.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Dave Matthews Band. As somebody said, decidedly uninteresting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 1 thing I'm gonna say to defend this band. I can see how you think 'uninteresting' but are you only basing that on what they've released to mainstream radio?

Ovb, I don't agree with this statement but I also have the knowledge of listening to every single one of their songs they've ever produced.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it if funny that so many people defend the blues, saying that they are the most talented people to ever play a guitar. I always ask two questions: "have you ever listened to three consecutive blues albums in a row?" and "can you name me ten blues artists." Oh, and seeing that they are losing their argument because they don't know what they are talking about, they continue on and say that Rock and Roll would not exist. Look at Eric Clapton (not knowing that "Tears in Heaven" is classically based, and he also has a book on classical out.), Jimmy Hendrix (yes, he loved the blues, but his style was highly influenced by gypsie music, if they can't see the connection, and country, which is not blues), and Jimmy Page (he discovered blues later in life).

Yes, there is not doubt that there is some influence in blues, and yes, some good music, but the genre in itself is repetitive and boring at worst, and great for live performance at best, with it's improvisation and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hilarious that you try use Clapton to make your point.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hilarious that you try use Clapton to make your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the blues is all about improvisation, and live performances.

What was the over-rated part?

Clapton, BB King, Freddie King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Robert Randolph, Muddy Waters, George Thorogood, Robert Johnson, Albert King, Gary Moore, Robert Cray, Derek Trucks

I think that was at least 10.

Err, and maybe you havn't heard Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers or Cream...Or his latest tour of Robert Johnson material. Tears in Heaven is not actually his only song.

Anywhooooo, point proven, case over.