Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Different types of wealth

[ QUOTE ]
3 early in life is the only probable route to achieve 1, 2 or 3. When did you last meet that guy that prioritized to get good grades in school instead of travelling half a year and then became wealthy? (except maybe in finance) You aren't born with a deep understanding of human interaction and I don't think there is any other way than 3 to achieve it. And I don't think it is possible to get wealthy without a deep understanding of human interaction and thus to achieve 1 and 2. So, early in life the choice is logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying for most people the only way to become wealthy is to travel the world early in life? I think this warrants its own discussion, as I strongly disagree.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 PM

why would that warrant its own discussion when it's so obviously false?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would that warrant its own discussion when it's so obviously false?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess not its own discussion - I just wanted to hear his reasoning?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 early in life is the only probable route to achieve 1, 2 or 3. When did you last meet that guy that prioritized to get good grades in school instead of travelling half a year and then became wealthy? (except maybe in finance) You aren't born with a deep understanding of human interaction and I don't think there is any other way than 3 to achieve it. And I don't think it is possible to get wealthy without a deep understanding of human interaction and thus to achieve 1 and 2. So, early in life the choice is logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. So basically you can be a high school dropout but as long as you can socialize and have traveled you will be wealthy?

Number 1 is by far the nuts. If you have that then the other 2 are given.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't true at all. For most people, attaining #1 means giving up large expenditures for luxury items or travel in order to attain wealth in the first place. So I suppose that, having attained some wealth, you could dip into it to travel or buy your self a present. But it certainly is not given.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:09 AM

Save or spend? I say make more
Old 07-10-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't true at all. For most people, attaining #1 means giving up large expenditures for luxury items or travel in order to attain wealth in the first place. So I suppose that, having attained some wealth, you could dip into it to travel or buy your self a present. But it certainly is not given.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such bs.

As has been stated 500 times already only #1 is wealth. The other 2 are things to spend your wealth on.

I only spend $40,000 per year more or less but I live it up a hell of a lot more than most people I know and travel around quite a bit. I'll be living in 3 different countries I've never been to before next year. I don't spend money on retarded [censored] like rolexes and cars though. The potential loss of time isn't worth it for me.

Yet, I will still manage to save enough to achieve #1 somewhere in the 35-40 year old range. I'll be able to live of my investments around that age and have a decent 6 figures of annual income (real dollars) without ever touching the principal.

You don't have to be broke to achieve financial freedom assuming you can make enough. If you can't, then you probably can't "really" afford that crap you are buying to begin with. I laugh my ass off everytime I see some 25 year old kid buying some $40,000 car when he works for $15/hr at some retail joint. He can't afford that [censored] but America deludes him into thinking he can... and ultimately the stock I own profits from this mentality so obviously I don't have that huge of a problem with it, but this is the basic problem for most nonetheless. If everyone was like me, saving 2/3 of their gross income before taxes then the economy would tank quickly.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:32 AM

guids, I know of very aggressive stock program run by smart people that's run locally. 50k is good amount.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
type 1 wealth seems like masturbation, and fairly stupid to have as a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

type 1 wealth leads to security and having free time to do whatever you want, which I think most people value pretty highly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for quoting Guids so I can see it. Once in a while I need reminder as to why he's on ignore. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2007, 04:23 AM

A normal person also isn't going to leave behind his family and friends and move to a poor country, so, it isn't so easy for most.