Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: *s

iron,

i missed it, when did you take that particular championship belt from sniper?

all oot mods,

i think that it would be totally reasonable that any user, regardless of seniority, etc, can have any number of *s removed and their titles returned to whatever they were, if they agree to oot exiling.

daryn,

no, the forum for retarded crap and trolls is pretty obviously bbv.

citanul
Old 10-28-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iron,
i missed it, when did you take that particular championship belt from sniper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I forgot to switch accounts...

Seriously, I don't think power triping is either my or Iron's thing... [censored] holds the lock on power tripping, and anyone who's tried to emulate any of his techniques has failed miserably [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2006, 05:12 PM

now TWP posts an aim conversation i just had with him without asking me. are there any repercussions for something like this?
Old 10-28-2006, 05:23 PM

This storm in a teacup shows some seriously poor thinking.

First, what do the oot mods think *s are for?

1) punishment?
2) Educating the offender?
3) Educating others?

seems like the way its wielded generally by some (and I stress some, not all) oot mods is (1) only. If you aren't seeking to 'educate' (or at least explain the * to the poster), you're going to get this nitty whining forever.

Finally, if you want to do (3), you need to make the * public with a clear explanation in the thread concerned EVERY TIME, so the message gets through. (and this is why threads shouldn't be deleted unless necessary, but locked - or moved to the Phantom Zone/prison forum/Rathole/The Flush/whatever you want to call it).

It's looking like a lot of people are getting confused, angry etc etc because they aren't getting it, because it appears a significant number of *'ings are punishment only, without explanation.

And also, jeez, try being a bit more lenient with posters who've got decent post-count and have been around a bit, and who post in OOT only occasionally. Talk to them first and if they are sorry/understand they did wrong, an agreement to make sure they check the FAQ and stick to it surely suffices in those cases (just check if they're active in strat forums at all, might be an idea)?

Old 10-28-2006, 05:37 PM

Daryn,

Change his title to Sarcastic Bastard *.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now TWP posts an aim conversation i just had with him without asking me. are there any repercussions for something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, he should be spanked thoroughly by you and NT after class.

lol, seriously guys...can you just remove his star and exile him from OOT for a month if you want to save face or whatever? He doesn't want to post in OOT anyways.

Win win.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:44 PM

Meh, let's not compromise for the sake of compromise and set a precedent that still involves the public scarlet letter (if the current system is going to be changed). I favor changing the title back and putting the * in the user notes.

And Daryn, that was very lame of him to post the AIM convo. He's not really helping himself there.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:53 PM

the lounge has the B system. There may be a wiki entry on it, or perhaps someone else can find the original explanation. its basically a DB'd up * system
Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 PM

I think there are two issues here.

1) is the TWP issue seperately. I strongly believe we shouldn't reward or cater to this type of RJ esq, bitching and complaining. As was stated in the thread a couple of times I and other mods worked out similar situations over PM/AIM or whatever. I think that if anything TWP should just be perm exiled from OOT at this point.

the 2nd issue is if there is a better way the * system can implemented. Let me first say that this of course should be up to the current OOT mods and ryan to work out and these are just my opinions. Yes in the past I agreed to keep the * in the notes but this was done on a case by case basis primarily for users who contributed productively to strategy forums and who I knew were very unlikely to be repeat offenders.

There is a value in having the * public as it deters others from breaking the rules. The fact that some users get so bent out of shape over getting s * to me shows that its working and has the intended effects.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the lounge has the B system. There may be a wiki entry on it, or perhaps someone else can find the original explanation. its basically a DB'd up * system

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it is different, has a different purpose. No exiles for x number of offenses, for one.

if you do something banworthy, you get banned end of story. For smaller offenses, you get an ascending number of suspension days per offense with the B# system, which makes it a good tool for 'educating' tools. (B1 = 1 day susp. for an offense means your next offense will be AT LEAST B2, and so on).

We rarely use it tho. It's not a forum that suffers with trolls etc, too low traffic for them.