Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand, $5 HU SNG

Believe me or not, there are a lot of nits at stars where I play, who can be pushed around easily and thinking like you cost me some money already. There are some guys who move in on first hand and you say that you would call with AQ in this spot? It is similar example because your fold equity is very low in given example.

A lot of guys move in on first hand with AA or KK because they don't know how to play it. Saying "every 5 dollars guy is the same maniac" is a leak that you guys have in your thinking. You cannot put him on a range just because he plays 5 dollar HU. Maybe if you look at sharkscope, you can do it. So when deciding in that situation, sharkscope might help.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me or not, there are a lot of nits at stars where I play, who can be pushed around easily and thinking like you cost me some money already. There are some guys who move in on first hand and you say that you would call with AQ in this spot? It is similar example because your fold equity is very low in given example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen, all I'm saying is that, if you're significantly ahead of what the average $5 player is going to get his money in with, then you should get your money in. In my opinion, you are. You could be better (if you had AA or AK), but that doesn't mean you're not good. If you don't want to take my advice, that's totally up to you. You started this thread so you could get other people's opinions, and I gave mine.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of guys move in on first hand with AA or KK because they don't know how to play it. Saying "every 5 dollars guy is the same maniac" is a leak that you guys have in your thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody says that, or has said that in this thread. The fact is, some $5 players are maniacs. Why? Because they're playing for $5. Some people play seriously no matter how much they're playing for (like you and I), but some people couldn't care less about $5, and just want to have fun. Those people will call your all in with very bad hands. Other people actually try, but just don't know what they're doing. If you don't acknowledge the fact that you could be playing against any of these types of people, you're kidding yourself. And just because you play against one type 10 times in a row doesn't mean every $5 player is that type of player.

[ QUOTE ]
You cannot put him on a range just because he plays 5 dollar HU. Maybe if you look at sharkscope, you can do it. So when deciding in that situation, sharkscope might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can. Without sharkscope. Your range won't be perfectly accurate, but it'll be as accurate as you can possibly make it, and that's all you can do. Nearly every HU player you encounter will be someone you've never played against before. Generalizations like the ones I and others use arise out of necessity. We need to make the best decision we can, but we've never seen this guy before. So we have to use a generalization. All we know is he's in a $5 HU game (in this example) so we make our decision based on the skill and tendencies of the average guy we meet at a $5 HU game.

Looking again at the hand in your original post, I'll suggest this: If you don't want a big pot preflop, then don't reraise here. If you don't think AQs is good enough to get all your money in with, why did you reraise? Reraising so you can fold is a bad plan. There's nothing wrong with just calling with AQs.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 PM

I didnt start the thread.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Just gave my opinion. I see yours is different. Probably good too. I just like to get to know my opponent before I commit too many chips with a speculate hand. If he is a maniac, there will be time to wait for a hand patiently and bust him because the blinds are low. If he is a nit who doesn't know how to play aces, then I made the right play. I might have made mistake by not calling here, but this mistake can be corrected by patiently waiting for a hand while maniac moves all in. This is the way I look at it.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but here goes..

I fold it...

In my experience, you are not ahead of his range....what could they have?

Hands you can beat? AJ AT KQ?

Hands that have you in trouble AA KK QQ AK

Hands your flipping with The rest of them..

again, I fold because against your average $5 sng player, there are WAY better spots to get your money in...why coinflip?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:30 AM

I've seen any ace, any king, QJ, QT, Q9s even... there's a ton of stuff that more than just a few 5 dollar players will go in with on the first hand. If he's a +ROI player on sharkscope this narrows it down some, but unless he's +ROI from HUSNG alone I still shove this.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but here goes..

I fold it...

In my experience, you are not ahead of his range....what could they have?

Hands you can beat? AJ AT KQ?

Hands that have you in trouble AA KK QQ AK

Hands your flipping with The rest of them..

again, I fold because against your average $5 sng player, there are WAY better spots to get your money in...why coinflip?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about other example I gave. Suppose you have 1500 chips, blinds 10 20 like on stars. Guy moves in on first hand. It is stupid to call with AQ in this spot because you don't know if you are up against a guy who is a maniac or someone who doesn't know how to play aces. I said that I might be making a mistake, but it can be corrected. So, eljizzle, with this example, I agree with you.

In example at the start of this thread, I would call and go from the flop on. You have enough chips so that you can just call , no need to move in yet. Also, folding is a bad idea, I believe in this spot, because the hand is just too powerful.

ChicagoRy, what site you play on that you see such an idiotic play? Might be worth a try.