Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Prostitution, Adultry and Christianity

It's more rational to burn in Hell forever for the sake of a monthly orgasm?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We know they are irrational since they are Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if it is funny, strange, or stupid that you think Leonhard Euler, Freeman Dyson, and Isaac Newton are/were irrational. Is it a combination of all three?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those men certainly held/hold irrational ideas, though obviously we must judge Newton and Euler within the context of when they lived. It's a similar reason why we don't condemn Washington and Jefferson for owning slaves as harshly as we would if they did so today.

Newton in particular wasted many years intently analyzing the Bible and studying alchemy. Even though his religious writings outnumber his scientific work, it is no surprise he is only remembered for the latter. In fact, there is good evidence that his religious beliefs prevented him from figuring out the stability properties of the solar system via perturbation theory, which was ultimately worked out by Lagrange. If Newton had not been religious, he would almost certainly have made more important discoveries.

[ QUOTE ]
We also know they took the incorrect moral stance on this particular issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says who? You? So you have the ultimate authority on what is correct on a moral issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not. I also know that it's morally wrong to murder innocent people, and that the Earth is about 4.55 billion years old. That I (and most people) know these facts does not require me to be the "ultimate authority."

[ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, are you an atheist because you are afraid of someone having a higher moral authority than you on matters? Or is it just because you're really really rational? (in comparison to guys like Euler and Newton, of course)

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter, though it does not require a very high degree of rationality to be an atheist, so it's not saying much. As I stated earlier, it's not fair to compare anyone today in that respect to Newton and Euler.

[ QUOTE ]
If an atheist condemned prostitution in this case, I would also strongly suspect some form of irrationality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Isn't it possible that the prostitution, even in this case, would cause some type of psychological harm long-term (see a previous post in this thread)?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would obviously be a rational reason to oppose hiring a prostitute in this case, but I am assuming the prostitute did in fact genuinely make the accident victim happy, as the OP stated.

However, we both know alleged concern for his psychological health is a red herring here. We must also ask *why* the victim might feel guilty about receiving services from a prostitute.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If Newton had not been religious, he would almost certainly have made more important discoveries.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is kinda stupid, You're certain about too much.
[ QUOTE ]
The latter, though it does not require a very high degree of rationality to be an atheist, so it's not saying much.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't know what you are talking about..
I don't believe it's rational to believe that the universe came from nothing - why do you think it's rational to believe so? That is as rational as a person claiming to be a poached egg.
The fact that people see the world and think there was a cause for it doesn't make them irrational.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

False dilemma. It's even more profoundly irrational (if not utterly moronic) to believe that "Hell" exists, or that having orgasms will send someone there.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Newton had not been religious, he would almost certainly have made more important discoveries.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is kinda stupid, You're certain about too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree to say "certainly" is perhaps too strong a word here. I should have written "possibly".
Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

False dilemma. It's even more profoundly irrational (if not utterly moronic) to believe that "Hell" exists, or that having orgasms will send someone there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why ask Christians their opinion on the matter? I have never heard of a Christian asking an atheist about the fourth level of mystic contemplation because that would be stupid. Yet atheists are stupid enough to ask moral questions of Christians and then judge their rationality with principles that a Christian by definition does not consider.

It is like a Frenchman asking an Englishman a question in French, and then thinking the Englishman is stupid for not speaking French, even though the Frenchman does not know a word of English himself.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why ask Christians their opinion on the matter? I have never heard of a Christian asking an atheist about the fourth level of mystic contemplation because that would be stupid. Yet atheists are stupid enough to ask moral questions of Christians and then judge their rationality with principles that a Christian by definition does not consider.

It is like a Frenchman asking an Englishman a question in French, and then thinking the Englishman is stupid for not speaking French, even though the Frenchman does not know a word of English himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

...but first translating it into French and then realizing his answer is just as non-sensical...