Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Wal-Mart

Why hate Walmart?
When I'm in one, I feel my soul being sucked out.

For whatever reason, if I am in a Walmart for more than 15 minutes, I get grumpy, short-tempered, impatient, and I can only think of bad things about every wal-martian that passes me.

And then I get to stand in line for 10 minutes behind some smelly ass hole who apparently needed toilet paper, lotion, and beef jerky.

Not many places make me feel this way.

That place is evil.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And then I get to stand in line for 10 minutes behind some smelly ass hole who apparently needed toilet paper, lotion, and beef jerky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol yeah that's my biggest gripe with Walmart. Luckily when I go there it's usually to buy a video game and there is never a wait at the electronics register.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you are in a small town, and a lot of businesses have closed down are people suppossed to drive 20-30 minutes into a different area at 3 dollars a gallon? Maybe im being irrational since I have never had a long term job. I would think that a place like wal-mart that has the money rolling in from everywhere would atleast have competitive wages and perks.

Edit: That could be why they treat the employees like crap, they know that they have nowhere else to go and if they quit there are plenty of people willing to take their job. The cycle just repeats over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do have competitive wages. It's not like Walmart comes in and bulldozes stores in town. They have to hire employees to open the store. This means they are competing directly with local businesses for employees.

If those employees could do better elsewhere, they wouldn't be working at Walmart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though this is America, do u think its fair for them to target areas that they know they can dominate and put out of business? Wal-Mart reminds me of Microsoft before they were forced to break up their monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Or should they be forced to only open stores where there's already tons of tough competition and they might not be able to make a decent profit? Being able to "dominate" means that the current situation is extremely inefficient and consumers are taking it up the @$$. If the stores currently serving the population were doing a halfway decent job, they wouldn't fold as soon as Walmart came to town.

[/ QUOTE ]

To suggest "that small businesses are doing not a half decent job" and that is the reason Walmart dominates is offending to the many small businesses in hundreds of communites. Many of these business have served their communities for years only to find that Walmart's entrance into their market has effected them adversely.
I have many friends in my town who have been effected by these big-box stores. These are people
who have contributed in many ways to my community by sponsoring sports teams, providing items for auctions, letting students do work experience ... These are people that coach our football teams, baseball teams, vounteer in many community groups and more.
They are not some faceless group who operate "inefficient" businesses. These are our friends and neighbours who in most
cases have been valuable assets in our communities for many years. While there is no stopping these large companies from coming to our communities, it makes no sense to be bashing the small businesses. That is certainly not deserved. If anything we should be doing all we can to support them.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol yeah that's my biggest gripe with Walmart. Luckily when I go there it's usually to buy a video game and there is never a wait at the electronics register.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not very releveant but a funny thing happened in a Wal Mart. I recently moved ot the Denver area and I needed to buy a paper so I stopped into a Wal Mart. I looked all over for a paper and couldnt' find one, but I bumped into a manager type. I asked him about it and he said they carried it for 30 days, but only sold one paper in that time so they got rid of it.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are not some faceless group who operate "inefficient" businesses. These are our friends and neighbours who in most cases have been valuable assets in our communities for many years who operate inefficient businesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same anti-competitive, pro-protectionist, pro-monopoly argument that suckers have been falling for from whiner mercantilists and political entrepreneurs who can't compete and want the government to stamp out there competition at the expense of the consumer for a hundred and twenty years.

Where did all of this anti-Wal-Mart hate come from? Union propaganda mills, of course. Why? Because non unionized Wal-Mart can sell groceries for 30% less than their union-crippled competitors. So the unions tell the economically uninformed that Wal-Mart "mistreats" their employees, who apparently believe that Wal-Mart provides them with their best choice, or else they wouldn't be there. Meanwhile unions, who drive wages well above market values, actually ensure that union members with the least seniority get let go (or never hired in the first place), costing a lot of poor people jobs so that higher[-paid] members can pad their salaries (not to mention the fat-cat union bosses living of coerced union dues). Not to mention that those displaced workers have to find some sort of job, and increase the supply of labor in other industries, thus driving wages down in non-unionized industries while they're at it.

If you can't compete, get out of the industry and find a productive job.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are not some faceless group who operate "inefficient" businesses. These are our friends and neighbours who in most cases have been valuable assets in our communities for many years who operate inefficient businesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same anti-competitive, pro-protectionist, pro-monopoly argument that suckers have been falling for from whiner mercantilists and political entrepreneurs who can't compete and want the government to stamp out there competition at the expense of the consumer for a hundred and twenty years.

Where did all of this anti-Wal-Mart hate come from? Union propaganda mills, of course. Why? Because non unionized Wal-Mart can sell groceries for 30% less than their union-crippled competitors. So the unions tell the economically uninformed that Wal-Mart "mistreats" their employees, who apparently believe that Wal-Mart provides them with their best choice, or else they wouldn't be there. Meanwhile unions, who drive wages well above market values, actually ensure that union members with the least seniority get let go (or never hired in the first place), costing a lot of poor people jobs so that higher members people can pad their salaries (not to mention the fat-cat union bosses living of coerced union dues). Not to mention that those displaced workers have to find some sort of job, and increase the supply of labor in other industries, thus driving wages down in non-unionized industries while they're at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were not listening. Do you have a template for that tirade. Don't bother quoting me if you can't get it right.
I am a capitalist and pro-business. Obviously you were just waitng for the opportunity to preach your business school teachings(which is my background by the way). So I have heard it all before
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 AM

Like all my tirades, that one was free form.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To suggest "that small businesses are doing not a half decent job" and that is the reason Walmart dominates is offending to the many small businesses in hundreds of communites. Many of these business have served their communities for years only to find that Walmart's entrance into their market has effected them adversely.
I have many friends in my town who have been effected by these big-box stores. These are people
who have contributed in many ways to my community by sponsoring sports teams, providing items for auctions, letting students do work experience ... These are people that coach our football teams, baseball teams, vounteer in many community groups and more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has no bearing on whether or not Walmart is doing something wrong by setting up shop in these towns. It's great that they're doing all these things for your community. If members of your community appreciate these things and value the services those business owners offer, they will continue to frequent their stores. If they prefer to save time and money by shopping at Walmart, they will.

[ QUOTE ]
They are not some faceless group who operate "inefficient" businesses. These are our friends and neighbours who in most
cases have been valuable assets in our communities for many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the attitude of a protectionist. If the local grocery store can sell items cheaper or provide better service than Walmart, it stays in business. If not, it either operates at reduced profit or closes down.

[ QUOTE ]
While there is no stopping these large companies from coming to our communities, it makes no sense to be bashing the small businesses. That is certainly not deserved. If anything we should be doing all we can to support them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is bashing small business as a rule. There is a reason that they fail when Walmarts open up shop though. It's because they can't compete with Walmart on price or convenience(people can walk into Walmart and take care of all their needs instead of going to several stores). If you want to support local businesses, more power to you, but recognize that it is because you value something more than savings and convenience.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where did all of this anti-Wal-Mart hate come from? Union propaganda mills, of course. Why? Because non unionized Wal-Mart can sell groceries for 30% less than their union-crippled competitors. So the unions tell the economically uninformed that Wal-Mart "mistreats" their employees, who apparently believe that Wal-Mart provides them with their best choice, or else they wouldn't be there. Meanwhile unions, who drive wages well above market values, actually ensure that union members with the least seniority get let go (or never hired in the first place), costing a lot of poor people jobs so that higher[-paid] members can pad their salaries (not to mention the fat-cat union bosses living of coerced union dues). Not to mention that those displaced workers have to find some sort of job, and increase the supply of labor in other industries, thus driving wages down in non-unionized industries while they're at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Maryland recently tried to pass a law which would require businesses employing more than 10000 in the state to provide health care for all employees. Only 1 business in the whole state qualifies, Walmart.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like all my tirades, that one was free form.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Not too bad then. I must also point out that I do not disagree with everything you say. I just found it a little heavy handed.