Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Booked a flight to London... suggestions please.

We leave tomorrow, and well, we couldn't have more anxiety. I purchased a day trip to Paris for my wife for Christmas. She was so happy when she found out but not even 2 hours later we read in the paper that the terrorist threat for the Channel Tunnel is "Sky High" this week.

There isn't a refund and it cost nearly $600, do we pass on the Paris trip or should we still go? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We leave tomorrow, and well, we couldn't have more anxiety. I purchased a day trip to Paris for my wife for Christmas. She was so happy when she found out but not even 2 hours later we read in the paper that the terrorist threat for the Channel Tunnel is "Sky High" this week.

There isn't a refund and it cost nearly $600, do we pass on the Paris trip or should we still go? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the tunnel trip. Not sure where you read the risk is sky high but would think its lower down the terrorist targets purely because the French did not support the Iraqi war. I'd be more worried about a terrorist threat on the tube than on the tunnel, although both are incredibly small, more likely to be knocked over crossing the road in london!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:21 PM

I'd still go if you already paid for it. Paris is amazing. If your only going to be there for a day I would recommend the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and Sacre Cour(great view at night). I was able to see all these and a little more in day so you shouldn't have too much trouble. In London I would recommend National Gallery (a lot of very famous paintings here, i.e. Rembrandt's sunflowers), Westminster Abby, and Big Ben. These are all really close to eachother so you can do all these at once. Just go to the Westminster tube stop. The London Eye and Downing Street are here too.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:26 PM

OK, thank you much. I was looking for a little reassurance. Hopefully you'll hear back from me next week. Wish me luck [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 PM

How many days are you in london? I just went there for a week myself. To travel around the city you should use the tube, which is easy to learn. There are tube stations every few blocks, so you can get anywhere pretty easily. When you get to your hotel, just ask the bellman where the nearest tube station is. Depending on how long you are staying you should get an oyster card. You can ask at the assistance window in any station.

Walking around can get complicated, since there are no street signs anywhere, but anyone you ask for directions will be more than helpful.

The British Museum is awesome. The british spent centuries raiding every culture on the planet, and put it all here. All kinds of huge egyptian stuff, the rosetta stone, all the statues from the Parthenon.

You can use google earth to locate tube stations and your hotel, or you can just wait till you get there. Also, trains to get anywhere out of london are very expensive unless you book in advance (a week or more).
Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many days are you in london?

[/ QUOTE ]

We're there for one week.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take you up on the Tube suggestion. We already have transportation to and from the airport and booked our trip to Paris. Other than that, we have no idea how to get anywhere.