Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: The age of horrorism

[ QUOTE ]
My primary point is that from the beginning of the founding of Islam by the pedophile Mohammed who twisted some of Judeo-Christianity and added to it, that religion has been spread by the sword and continues to this day with a pattern of violent aggression against non-believers and their own believers who would convert to another religion. So you can't really point to a battle of the crusades, or to the crusades as a whole, and say that was a thousand years ago and it is time to forget it because the violent aggression of Islam is still ongoing and has never stopped. They will not be satisfied until they see Shari'a imposed on the entire world.

They don't want to live in peace, and only the violent suppression of Islamic radicals in countries like Egypt and Turkey that are ostensibly secular and peaceful in their outlook to non-Moslem countries keeps them from joining the ranks of radical Islamic states. They have sought war throughout the history of their religion and they have found it. Often they have been successful for centuries at a time. But in this nuclear age they may well find the last battle, and one that ends with Mecca being turned into an irradiated sea of glass for thousands of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go out on a limb to say whenever you refer to a population of over 1 billion people as "they" and then seek to ascribe a set of uniform beliefs to them, you are most often wrong from the start.

It's just as incorrect as some muslims' belief that all or even most christians in this country want the United States to be a christian nation and the world population converted to christianity.

And while I understand that you like to engage in hyperbole and share in the Neo-Cons' notion of muslims bent on world domination, as well as the Neo-Cons' joy in uttering the phrase "sea of glass", I think the failure of our leadership to recognize the schism in islamic belief, between Sunni and Shia, and the opposition between the two sects, has led to the situation we find ourselves in now in Iraq.

Indeed, as an interesting Frontline Documentary recently revealed, Paul Bremer was chosen to head the CPA because he had no Mideast background and knew little about the region. The administration's belief was that he therefore wouldn't be saddled with any preconceived notions of the region.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Kurdistan is Not Part of Iraq

Shocking that our government doesn't publicize this, isn't it?

I highly recommend Peter Galbraith's The End of Iraq.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone remember the “Domino Theory”? The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution?

History is full of examples of the “Might makes Right” practice, which have been shown in hindsight to be incredibly arrogant, foolish and deadly to those who were not on side of military might.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about WW2? Do the British French and Germans go around slaughtering each other today? How about the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese?

Also, I would conclude from your remarks that you believe the slaughters in places like Bosnia, Rwanda, and the Sudan should be left untouched.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

History is full of examples of the “Might makes Right” practice, which have been shown in hindsight to be incredibly arrogant, foolish and deadly to those who were not on side of military might.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about WW2? Do the British French and Germans go around slaughtering each other today? How about the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese?

Also, I would conclude from your remarks that you believe the slaughters in places like Bosnia, Rwanda, and the Sudan should be left untouched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utah.....One issue at a time.

Please do not attempt to dismiss the content of my post by lumping it in with all/any other examples that you might consider relevant.

Address the issue......Don't attempt to trivialize it by restatement and obfuscation.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do not attempt to dismiss the content of my post by lumping it in with all/any other examples that you might consider relevant.

Address the issue......Don't attempt to trivialize it by restatement and obfuscation.

[/ QUOTE ]Please restate your issue then. I always like dealing with one issue at a time. You provided example/model to support your argument and I provided counter examples. To me, there was no switch of issues. However, I may have missed your point.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Please restate your issue then. I always like dealing with one issue at a time. You provided example/model to support your argument and I provided counter examples. To me, there was no switch of issues. However, I may have missed your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

....fair enough.

I threw out the Vietnam War as an example, as it was one that some here may have lived through, and could relate to in real time.

The issue that I am primarily interested in was the one that Borodog brought up, and what the bulk of my post was responding to.

I'll plead guilty to expanding the discusssion to a broader base in an effort to get past that, and re-focus on the thoughts that Borodog raised.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Bah, this article sucks. A friend of mine put it very well:

Over-writing will not disguise your attempt to google-search an intellectual path through Troubled Times. You'll forever be stuck trying to explain yesterday's battle, because you lack the imagination, the skill, and the empathy to predict tomorrow's.

p.s. Your obsession with Qutb's sex life -- what is that about?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bah, this article sucks. A friend of mine put it very well:

Over-writing will not disguise your attempt to google-search an intellectual path through Troubled Times. You'll forever be stuck trying to explain yesterday's battle, because you lack the imagination, the skill, and the empathy to predict tomorrow's.

p.s. Your obsession with Qutb's sex life -- what is that about?

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH!!??

OK, I give up.....

Either this response was meant for someone else, or I want some of whatever you're partaking in at the moment.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 PM

Sorry, reply to the OP, not you.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] American military commanders in Baghdad more and more sound like their beleaguered colleagues of the Westmoreland era. Yesterday, Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, claimed with a straight face that the latest upsurge in violence across Iraq is an effort by the insurgents to "influence the U.S. congressional elections". That's what the man said. link

Here is a choice sample from the Maj. General's spiel, which is a useful example of denial. Read it and see how he frames things so as to insinuate that it was not (it is never) the strategy's or the plan's fault.

[ QUOTE ]
"We're asking ourselves if the conditions under which [Operation Together Forward] was first devised and planned still exist today or have the conditions changed and therefore modification to that plan needs to be made."

[/ QUOTE ]

And the other day, the Guantanamo commander was calling a prisoner's suicide an act of "asymmetrical warfare directed against the U.S.". That's right, that's how he put it.

All that is definitely not wits and smarts at work. That is colored-glass vision.

Mickey Brausch
Closed Thread