Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Two AK river bluffs

[ QUOTE ]
Is potting the flop in hand one standard, or is it a once in a while thing? Do you think it has much more FE than a more moderate sized bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
No one adressed this at all. Is it because it is so obvious why potting the flop here is standard, or is it just because no one had a decent answer? Betsizing interests me.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is potting the flop in hand one standard, or is it a once in a while thing? Do you think it has much more FE than a more moderate sized bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
No one adressed this at all. Is it because it is so obvious why potting the flop here is standard, or is it just because no one had a decent answer? Betsizing interests me.

[/ QUOTE ]

potting every street can be standard if you play at ub too
Old 02-06-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for many players potting is standard, and in my experience this causes problems because FE is not much greater than with a half-pot. When you half-pot flop you (1) have much more flexibility on the turn (2) are getting direct odds from the pot to hit an A or K, assuming opponent checks OOP and you decide to check behind if turn missed. Most of the time I fire again on turn though for half-pot. They figure I'm always pushing river (though I'm not), and so they fold since they've only put in 25 BBs and feel they can still escape unscathed.

Sometimes if I have a hand like AA/KK and I want to mimimize the liklihood of a fold, I pot flop (25 BBs) and bet a tiny bit LESS on turn (20 BBs), then push river and they have to call this last half-pot bet (often they just CR turn AI because they don't want to see something scary on the river).
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM

Dont pot hand1, I dont see why he would go away when board hasnt changed much, I wouldnt be suprised if you got called down light here. I like betting turn more.

Hand2 is mehh..there both kind of marginal
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Hand 1: As for the flop bet, I would rarely bet pot here, but given stack sizes, I don't mind it, since it looks like you're trying to get stacks in ASAP. If I were to fire a second barrel, it would be on the turn, since I always get called when I fire the river like this.

[ QUOTE ]
Really don't like hand 2 as no one believes that u rr pre then check behind a flush draw, and you're never checking a set on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Dean on this, but the thing is, villain has two pair here, at best, almost always. Unless he's the type to make hero calls, I like the river bet, although I would have probably just bet the flop.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 PM

w/o reading replies

hand 1 your flop bet is pretty gross. I wouldn't continue bluffing after he calls it either. The board didn't get scary, he's got at least a pair. You are a self described bluffer.

hand 2 I really like if you decide to turn your hand into a bluff. But, when he checks the turn to me, I just try to check it down. This is a good bluffing line though and it's certainly believable you have a flush draw you checked behind on the flop / top set you decided to slowplay / gutterball.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM

Yea I echo other people's "hand 1 never works for me", I've tried this crap plenty and they always call with any pair. Like Jim said, I would like to bet the turn in hand 1 if I'm gonna keep stabbing.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Why is everyone so hyped on bluffing at all in hand 2? We check behind on the flop and then he checks to us on the turn. Ya'll don't just look to check it down from here (assuming you don't bet the flop)?
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone so hyped on bluffing at all in hand 2? We check behind on the flop and then he checks to us on the turn. Ya'll don't just look to check it down from here (assuming you don't bet the flop)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

Hate to chime in with the "Yeah, that's actually what I would probably do," after you said it, but yeah.

In my defense, I did just recently post a similar thought in another thread!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the first one never works for me. never.

[/ QUOTE ]