Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: I\'m in trouble

[ QUOTE ]
how do they even know I was doing offshore gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is someone who knows you angry about something?

"Hear your side of it" could just be bait, or reflect that someone was telling stories about you.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 AM

I have no clue how stuff runs in Utah, but if you have any friends or relatives that have strong political connections, you should definately call them, and tell them the state tax commission might be coming after you. Even if they can't/won't make it go away, they can probably remove any extra fervor the investigators might have regarding jamming you up. If whoever's investigating you knows you have powerful friends, their future career aspirations will likely influence just how hard they push this thing.

It's definately good to have a lawyer if you actually have to talk to the gov't, but it might be detrimental to get one too early if you did actually commit a crime. If you have to make up a story to manufacture reasonable doubt in a criminal proceeding, that's not something a lawyer can be involved in, or even know about. A lawyer can not and will not put you on the witness stand if he knows you are going to lie.

It would be best if you knew exactly what kind of evidence they have against you before you say a word about this to anyone, even your own lawyer. The only reliable way to get the truth out of them about what kind of evidence they have is to make them present it in court.

If paying for a lawyer is an issue for you, wait until they arrest or subpoena you to get one. I think it would be waste of money to pay for a lawyer if they don't have enough evidence to do anything to you (there's a decent chance this is the case, because if they really had anything on you, they'd arrest you rather than ask you to come in for a chat).

If cost is not really an issue, then by all means, get a lawyer now. Just don't tell him anything that you may want to say differently about later on. You should let the lawyer know that you basically just want him to run interference for you with the investgators until you find out exactly what evidence they have against you that will be admissable in court. If you did whatever they are accusing you of, it is best not to say a word about anything until you know exactly what evidence they have. If this means keeping your mouth glued shut until after the prosecution has put on its case in a trial, so be it. If you feel you're best play is to lie, you do not want to give the cops months and months to dig around and poke holes and your story, gather contradictory evidence, etc.

The criminal justice system in this country only works because of the stupidity of criminals. It is ridiculously hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that someone commited a criminal act with the requisite state of mind if the accussed doesn't offer a word of explanation until after the prosecution has already put on it's case.

People get convicted because they get locked into a story before they know exactly what evidence is out there against them.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 AM

you're in Utah, one of the extreme white, religion dominated state that think their the best, and their moral is above all.

you're winning a ton, but are not paying tax.

But I feel like there's much more to your story, you're either criminal for being something else or a bookie.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM

ok, now, admitted your mistakes, otherwise, no one can help you.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're in Utah, one of the extreme white, religion dominated state that think their the best, and their moral is above all.

you're winning a ton, but are not paying tax.

But I feel like there's much more to your story, you're either criminal for being something else or a bookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

707, do you realize that your entire community paid property taxes so that you could have a decent K-12 education? That's a lot of sweat equity from a lot of fine folks, all invested in you.

How can you let them down so badly?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 AM

All you guys listen up:

From the information he provided, he stated that he's getting investigated because of online gambling, but thousands if not millions of people bet online every single day, how come he's the only one that gets in trouble. Betting online is not illegal.

So he's probably doing something that's big that has caught the attention, he might win bigs, and don't report the tax, but shouldn't the Fed get him first? He might be running a bookie business, he might be a agent, he might be one of the guy that deals transaction for people with online betting co.

Please tell us more about you first.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True. But how do they even know I was doing offshore gambling? That's why I was so shocked. This is the State tax commission no less. How in the world are they finding this stuff out?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're only doing online gambling, you have nothing to worry about, but obviously, you're not.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, now, admitted your mistakes, otherwise, no one can help you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, a gramatically challenged cop?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM

Alright--locking the thread.

Use the advice given and get yourself a Utah lawyer.
Closed Thread