Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: which books would you give 10/10 ?

[ QUOTE ]
I once told someone a made up fact that if they spunked a grand on 1-2 nl holdem raising preflop with 30% of hands at random, by the time they were broke they'd be as good as most pros. If beginners never play too many hands and make postflop mistakes, they'll remain beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people have "make up" this same idea. Phil Ivey has said one of the best things he ever did for his NL game was to drop down to a level where the stakes didn't matter to his BR and just play every hand. It forces you to play well after the Flop.

Angel Largay has a sililar exercise in his book. Again, drop down to a level where the stakes don't matter and then play an entire session where you only pretend to look at your hole cards. Instead, you play the entire session only playing your position, your stack and the other players.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM

Less applicable at fixed limits, I suppose.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:53 PM

If it started out as a 2+2, you would have given it 10. Now that you know it is not so you "honestly believe" you would not.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 AM

Matt Hilgers book is probably the most "complete" book on limit hold 'em available. It covers every single aspect of the full ring game thoroughly. The only thing it lacks is a section on shorthanded play. The advantage it has over SSHE is that whilst SSHE is a great book, it assumes you already know what you are doing. Hilgers book can take you from rank beginner to advanced player status.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:37 AM

In fact just to add to this discussion, I would go so far as to say that if a friend who was going to start playing limit hold em asked me which book to read to learn how to play and he could only read one book, Hilgers would be my number one recommendation.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Hold Em on the Come is an excellent book although it can be confusing at times and needs more sample hands. 9/10

How Good is Your Limit Hold Em 9.5/10
Post flop info is stellar but the book is a little confusing with the Q & A in tough spots to read.

TOP 9.5/10 Needs to be updated with more with Hold Em