Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Jerry Fallwell Gravely Ill

[ QUOTE ]
lololol at you guys. Might want to reconsider your moral compass when you another person's death brings you joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are billions of people in the world. There are only about 10 whose death would make me happy. I sleep OK at night.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i was kind of thinking the same thing as boris

[/ QUOTE ]

What's so great about having a "correct moral compass?" I have a conscience and it's clean, and I think I'm a good person. I don't do other people harm, I don't infringe on people's rights, and I tend to think of other people and put myself in their shoes in order to do the right thing. I also think Jerry Fallwell is a scumbag. If that makes my "moral compass" off (whatever that is), so be it. I'm sure as s**t not going to be so sanctimonious as to claim I'm on any higher ground.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM

pj - are you seriously claiming there is no such thing as morals?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even close to what he's saying.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I think of Falwell and others similar to him, I always think back to the West Wing where the president rips apart a right-wing radio host:

[ QUOTE ]
President Josiah Bartlet: You're Dr. Jenna Jacobs, right?

Jenna Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: ...Forgive me, Dr. Jacobs. Are you an M.D.?

Jacobs: A Ph.D.

Bartlet: A Ph.D.

Jacobs: Yes, sir.

Bartlet: Psychology?

Jacobs: No, sir.

Bartlet: Theology?

Jacobs: No.

Bartlet: Social work?

Jacobs: I have a Ph.D. in English literature.

Bartlet: I'm asking because on your show, people call in for advice and you go by the name Dr. Jacobs on your show, and I didn't know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology or health care.

Jacobs: I don't believe they are confused, no, sir.

Bartlet: Good. I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.

Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.

Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.

Jacobs: 18:22.

Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side-by-side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? Think about those questions, would you? One last thing, while you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the Ignorant Tight-Ass Club, in this building, when the President stands, nobody sits.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but the producers copped out and didn't make the president Athiest, because right after that he goes on about being a Christian, loses the effect
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you seriously read his post as claiming there are no such things as morals?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM

If God's in a shootin' mood Pat Robertson might want to keep his head down today, too.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM

Hallelulla
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but the producers copped out and didn't make the president Athiest, because right after that he goes on about being a Christian, loses the effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine -- Sorkin is not a realist, and his shows live in a world that's hyperstylized to accentuate certain world views, but they're never so far out of whack as to approach the realm of complete fantasy... which is what a show would have to be in order to contain a character of an atheist U.S. President.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lololol at you guys. Might want to reconsider your moral compass when another person's death brings you joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

he oppossed the Civil Rights movement, supported Apartheid

[ QUOTE ]
Jerry Falwell wrote in America Can Be Saved that "I hope I live to see the day when, as in the early days of our country, we won't have any public schools. The churches will have taken them over again and Christians will be running them."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
After the September 11, 2001, attacks Falwell said on the 700 Club, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] him