Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Heated Exchange with 24hr Fitness front desk guy WTF

[ QUOTE ]
It's not just a question of being a customer, paying for a service. It's that the guy is a dick to another person for no reason. Like if you asked someone on the street for the time, and they get pissed because you've inconvenienced them, it's just being a [censored] person.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but big deal, most people are jackasses. i fail to see how this is even noteworthy.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HAHAHA You're a loser!

DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not denying that... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] soy un perdedor
Old 07-24-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not just a question of being a customer, paying for a service. It's that the guy is a dick to another person for no reason. Like if you asked someone on the street for the time, and they get pissed because you've inconvenienced them, it's just being a [censored] person.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but big deal, most people are jackasses. i fail to see how this is even noteworthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think most people are jackasses, and there isn't any excuse for being one. Maybe you are a jackass, and you just see the world that way, because everyone treats you accordingly.

Edit: Just like your sprint example. There was no excuse for that customer to come in and be an ass, and you guys called him on it and made him leave.

Edit 2: yeah, from the title I thought they were gonna be close to fighting. I wonder how long OP was thinking about posting this in OOT.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:25 AM

yea, nice heated exchange
Old 07-24-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think most people are jackasses, and there isn't any excuse for being one. Maybe you are a jackass, and you just see the world that way, because everyone treats you accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I'm not saying the kid should be excused for being a jackass. I just find the cries of "ZOMG HE WAS RUDE!!! FIRE HIM/I NEED VENGEANCE" a bit absurd. He was a jackass, so what? I fail to see how this a) constituted a "heated exchange" or b) warranted the level of bitching going on in this thread.

edit: I regret posting so much in this thread, I feel like I'm perpetuating teh suck
Old 07-24-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time bring your card. How freaking difficult is that? Do you go the grocery store without money or some kind of a card?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't see the difference between forgetting money for a grocery store, and forgetting your membership card for a gym where they can look up your info in 11 seconds? I mean really? You can't figure that one out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange that I've been to a fitness club maybe 1500 times in my life and never forgotten my card. I guess I'm just special that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's revisit the phases of your argument, in chronological order:

Phase 1: "roflcopter, OP is stupid, not having your membership card is like trying to pay for groceries with no money!"

Interlude: Unoriginalname pwns you by pointing out that there is, in fact, a huge difference; most notably the ID card at the gym is simply a physical representation of the fact that he is a member; much unlike cash.

Phase 2: You retort with "Well, OP's a moron because I never forget MY gym card."

I'll leave you to reason out why you are, in fact, a jackass.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf at people in this thread saying the OP being treated like this is no big deal. Am I being leveled? I don't care if he's paying $55 or $20 a month. He's a paying customer and the reason this douche has a job. OP doesn't deserve to be made to feel like [censored] for forgetting his card.

[/ QUOTE ]

then he should be mad at the company for hiring employees like this and quit and go to another gym. problem solved. getting all moralistic and "i work for my money! i deserve to have my ass kissed!" etc. nobody gives two flying f*cks about you irl, deal with it. was the kid out of line? sure. is this end-of-the-world atrocious? no.

people yell at kids like this all day about sh*t that isn't his fault. "how come you don't have this machine? i pay my god-damned money every month and blah blah blah blah blah" ...

just bring the card. if this is too difficult, go to a different gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. If the gym refuses to take any action about employees like this, then he should move to another gym. I'm sure the owner has no clue customers are being treated like this or he would do something about it. If he does know and doesn't care, then the owner is perfectly fine with making less money than he could, which, I guess, is okay. I don't know many successful business owners who are content with not maximizing their income though.

Boo-hoo at the employee getting yelled at all day. If he can't take it and still deliver competent customer service, maybe he should go back to school and get a better job, or go do something like construction where he doesn't have to deal with customers.

When I go to a gym or a store, I don't need them to be friendly, smile at me, or make small talk. All I ask is that they don't act like a complete douche to me. I don't expect the "red carpet" at 4 A.M. and I would be a fool if I did. I'm paying $55 a MONTH and I do expect someone to take ELEVEN SECONDS to look up my account info without being a complete asshat.

I remember back when I was a teenager working one of my first jobs at some huge chain department store, there was a sign up in our break room. It said "take care of the customer, or someone else will". It sounds like some cliché corporate BS. I know back then, I was definitely thinking that. But then I grew up and left fairy-tale land, and realized a majority of the most successful and profitable businesses in the world were built on maximizing customer service and having zero tolerance against treatment like that in OP.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time bring your card. How freaking difficult is that? Do you go the grocery store without money or some kind of a card?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't see the difference between forgetting money for a grocery store, and forgetting your membership card for a gym where they can look up your info in 11 seconds? I mean really? You can't figure that one out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange that I've been to a fitness club maybe 1500 times in my life and never forgotten my card. I guess I'm just special that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's revisit the phases of your argument, in chronological order:

Phase 1: "roflcopter, OP is stupid, not having your membership card is like trying to pay for groceries with no money!"

Interlude: Unoriginalname pwns you by pointing out that there is, in fact, a huge difference; most notably the ID card at the gym is simply a physical representation of the fact that he is a member; much unlike cash.

Phase 2: You retort with "Well, OP's a moron because I never forget MY gym card."

I'll leave you to reason out why you are, in fact, a jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bus, no money or bus pass = no get on bus
Concert, no ticket = no get to see concert

Leaving the fact that I'm a jackass aside (I'm not denying that), how is this any different?

Bring your freaking membership card and there is no problem.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're absolutely right. If the gym refuses to take any action about employees like this, then he should move to another gym. I'm sure the owner has no clue customers are being treated like this or he would do something about it. If he does know and doesn't care, then the owner is perfectly fine with making less money than he could, which, I guess, is okay. I don't know many successful business owners who are content with not maximizing their income though.

Boo-hoo at the employee getting yelled at all day. If he can't take it and still deliver competent customer service, maybe he should go back to school and get a better job, or go do something like construction where he doesn't have to deal with customers.

When I go to a gym or a store, I don't need them to be friendly, smile at me, or make small talk. All I ask is that they don't act like a complete douche to me. I don't expect the "red carpet" at 4 A.M. and I would be a fool if I did. I'm paying $55 a MONTH and I do expect someone to take ELEVEN SECONDS to look up my account info without being a complete asshat.

I remember back when I was a teenager working one of my first jobs at some huge chain department store, there was a sign up in our break room. It said "take care of the customer, or someone else will". It sounds like some cliché corporate BS. I know back then, I was definitely thinking that. But then I grew up and left fairy-tale land, and realized a majority of the most successful and profitable businesses in the world were built on maximizing customer service and having zero tolerance against treatment like that in OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

This response is way too long and suggests the strong possibility that you're a self-righteous tool. The fact is that OP didn't quit and go to a different gym, he's still going there. If OP wants to make a difference he should leave the gym and write them a letter saying how sad he is at being made fun of, etc. Send a picture of him in a nice emo pose for added effect.

Good businesses make money by maximizing their income, yeah. So if they're paying this kid $1/hr less than someone else who would be nice to people and his actions don't cause the loss of any customers (which apparently they haven't), then that's good business. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

"boo-hoo if employees get yelled at all day" -- wtf are you choosing not to read my post? I don't care if people scream at this kid (or me for that matter) until they're blue in the face. Similarly, OP shouldn't care that this kid was rude to him.

This just seems like a small issue (namely this kid being a dick) blown massively out of proportion. A "heated exchange"? Come on.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a further example: at the moment i have a basically crap job making <40k/yr in a Sprint store. this store used to employ phone-repair dudes who would fix broken customer phones. this store also used to answer billing questions, issue credits, etc. now this store doesn't. the repairs are handled by a store literally <5 mins away.

a few days ago a guy comes in. i ask him how he's doing, he just holds out his broken phone, slams it on the desk and says "fix it". i tell him sorry, the repair guys got fired. he starts flipping his sh*t ... "well they should've sent me a f*cking letter! i drove all the way here! blah blah blah blah".

a co-worker of mine walks over after hearing him drop an f-bomb, snaps his fingers, points to the door and says "leave." i'm sure this guy was flamingly pissed about how poorly he was treated. so f*cking what? paying money doesn't give you the right to act like a huge ass, or curse and scream, or whatever.

same deal here. this kid's only job is to make sure you have your id with you. if you don't have your id with you, he has to tell you to bring it next time.

blah i hate people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in OP did he indicate he was anything like this customer you just described? He just forgot his [censored] card. He just forgot it! That's it! Have you ever forgotten ANYTHING? He wasn't being difficult. He wasn't making a scene. He wants the guy to take 11 seconds out of his life to look up his info so he doesn't have to take X minutes driving back and forth to his house just so he can work out!

mbillie, the anger displayed in this post of mine isn't really aimed specifically at you. It's just at my frustration to all that disagree with me. I consider myself a reasonable, open-minded guy and I'm always willing to consider other people's arguments. I just don't understand at all how someone can disagree with me here.
Closed Thread