Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: R.I.P. little buddy

[ QUOTE ]
more proof that dogs are better than 95% of the population

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm... wasn't it dogs that caused the problem in the first place? Well, regardless, it was a nice heartwarming story until I read this part:

[ QUOTE ]
"The pitbulls I've had dealings with are naturally aggressive because of the type of people they are with," Best said. "They keep pitbulls around because they don't like visitors, and one can only presume they have something to hide, that they are into crime and drugs."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it really possible that the dog did this to save the boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seriously asking if it's possible that a dog was being protective of its owners?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dog actually lived with a single guy, not with the children.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My daughter just made John Denver her wallpaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 PM

reading this made me tear up big-style
R.I.P. George [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're seriously asking if it's possible that a dog was being protective of its owners?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I wanted to know what was going on in the Dogs head. I didn't think it was obvious. Did the dog know he was gonna get killed or do they just respond to a threat in that way. If the dog was by himself would he have ran away?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was by himself he probably wouldhave run away but those kids showed that dog so much affection that he stood up to the two pitbulls. I don't think the dog knew it was gonna die, I don't even think it cared if it did. That dog was just helping out his owners when they needed it most.

It's like if your with a girl and are walking down the street and two guys jump out with knives, I'd do my best to make sure the girl is safe. If I was alone, I'd sprint home with my tail between my legs. Guy are exactly like dogs. We eat, crap, and sleep, we also protect those closest to us.

Thats why dogs are man's best freind. And thats why I would never own a cat. Cat's are useless lazy animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cats are very awesome but so are dogs.

I agree that the dog probably didn't really understand the risks.

Dogs naturally live in packs, and a dog living with humans is still in a pack. When a dog defends its territory or pack, or tackles larger prey than itself, it does so based on the inbred genetic assumption that the rest of the pack will join in, making his behavior far less risky, as he isn't really taking on the whole world all by himself at all. Unfortunately, when the "pack" is just some little kids he's with, he really IS taking on the whole world by himself. But dogs probably have a very limited ability to judge such things, especially in the heat of the moment. They're very likely to plunge in compared to a smarter species like our own, which starts to look for excuses and opportunities to escape pretty quickly.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If the dog played with the boys on a regular basis, then I wouldn't be surprised that he would try to protect them. After all, his instinct was probably to run away, which he probably could have done and survived, but he decided to attack anyway. That dog must be part Spartan.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha..this calls for some mspaint action
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dog's have no clue about their size in relation to other dogs, and are very protective of their families so...yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...must be terrier week. Like I said in another thread, terriers are/were bread to kill other animals, usually ones that were pests to humans, so the dog's instincts are not that unusual.

I wonder if they do protect thier owners by instinct. If so, how long does it take to develop this "bond"? If you picked a JR terrier from the pound, would he be defending you against a pit bull like 2 days later?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:48 PM

What happened was the pit bulls came out and scared the kids, the article doesn't even say that they bit the children. The terrier sensed a threat to itself and its pack and it reacted instinctually/bravely, getting itself killed by stronger dogs. There is no way to know whether the pit bulls were actually "going after the little boy" or not, which is probably the only part that is exaggerated. In either case, this little guy was very bad ass and deserves all the praise in the world for even POSSIBLY saving several children from harm. Sick that people would train their dogs to be so vicious and then let them out on the street (both are sick).
Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but I reckon he saved that boy from being chewed up.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it," Gay said.

[/ QUOTE ]

do they really talk like this in Australia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try re-reading the very FIRST line of the story:

WELLINGTON - NEW ZEALAND.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 AM

also, if you could somehow create a cat who had this same type of defense instinct, it would [censored] up those pit bulls pretty good. I'm not talking about a docile house cat, but more a wild cat that survives by killing things.

the pit bulls would still have the edge, but a cat could defend itself and inflict damage way better than a terrier.