Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Mark Halperin acknowledges liberal media bias

Mark Halperin is the political director at ABC news. He recently did an interview with Hugh Hewitt promoting his book(with co-authors), The Way To Win: Taking The White House In 2008 and had some pretty interesting things to say about liberal bias in the media. Please note this is a meme that I rarely pay much attention to because I just assume bias in everything I read and try to deconstruct from that starting point. But its hard to ignore when a guy of Helperin's experience makes some of these statements. I'll quote a few things and link the transcript of the interview.

[ QUOTE ]
MH: You’re asking me should people be skeptical? I think anyone who’s conservative should be skeptical of anything the old media does. But if they look at what we say in the book about the old media, if they look at the quality of ideas, I think that they’d have no reason to be skeptical, that the book is not a straightforward and honest account of not just the right, but of the left, and of the media.

HH: But the old media is overwhelmingly liberal, correct, Mark Halperin?

MH: Correct, as we say in the book.

HH: And so everyone that you work with, or 95% of people you work with, are old liberals.

MH: I don’t know if it’s 95%, and unfortunately, they’re not all old. There are a lot of young liberals here, too. But it certainly, there are enough in the old media, not just in ABC, but in old media generally, that it tilts the coverage quite frequently, in many issues, in a liberal direction, which is completely improper. And it goes from the big and major like CBS’ outrageous story about President Bush’s draft record right before the 2004 election, to the insidious and small use of language describing Nancy Pelosi’s liberal policies and ideas different than they would Newt Gingrich’s conservative ones

[/ QUOTE ]

Interview Transcript