Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: I want to start threads too / suggestions thread - II

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Brother's a chef, and I'm a BBQ competitor/judge, we cook a lot gourmet'ish guy food. A thread on BBQ, and using BBQ'd meats as components in other meals would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a thread on judging a food competition and/or a judging a food competition trip report would be fascinating.

[/ QUOTE ]
Happy to, someone can start one or give me the powah.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Consider starting a cigar thread, much like the beer rating thread in the lounge forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see a cigar thread, that would be awesome. I am a cigar aficionado but i dont truly have a great place to just sit and enjoy a good cigar. Damn California and their non-smoking laws.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At some point I'd like to put up a thread on throwing a (somewhat) classy cocktail party. This'd mean both how to stock a bar and a decent drink list to offer (20-30 drinks covering a fairly wide range). Some friends and I have done a couple dozen of these over the past 5-6 years and they've gone consistently well. I have part of this already written up, but the rest might take me a little while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having attended cocktail parties with Ethan and some of those same friends, I also think this would be a good thread. Additionally, I ran a somewhat informal wine/beer/cocktail/hard liquor tasting club of my own and could offer some stories and input.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM

cigars would be another thing i would love to read a thread about, while having very little to contribute. wine, clothes, sushi, cigars. this place will quickly become my one stop shop. all i need now is a thread where someone pounds into my head that flipping my poor little truck for a new bmw is a bad idea.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM

CT: Started a BBQ thread, can't wait to hear your stories.

All: Here's a collection of suggestions made in the last thread and this one. I think I captured most all of them.

I've added a few comments here and there in italics, but mainly this is just a dump of what has been written so far to give people an idea of what sort of things have been suggested and might be of interest to people here:

ED: Edited to add some more and bolded a few of the more general ones that anyone interested could start and would probably make for pretty interesting threads.

Food stuff

1) cheeses - different types, how to utilize (eg blue cheese pasta sauce from scratch), where to purchase, special sections on parmigiano reggiano and french cheeses

2) pickled foods - starting with the obv. kosher dill, also olives, capers, and wide variety of cabages, tomatoes, spicy not spicy, etc. there's a lot of pickling going on besides pickles

I think he might have been making fun of the forum there, but I think those could actually be quite good!

chèvre and other forms of cheese made from goat milk.

Maybe general cheese review/recommendation thread

Lots of threads on fine dining.

I would love to see some in-depth restaurant trip reports, including photos of the location/food, links to the restaurant website, a discussion of the food, and so forth.

Also, I am going to four different restaurants in the next two weeks for Toronto's Winterlicious festival, including Canoe (drool..top 3 restaurants in Toronto). I was going to do a combined trip report with pics

more cooking trip reports...

It's more of a link than a discussion, but there's a really good article on nutrition in the New York Times by Michael Pollan.

meals that one could specifically bring to and eat at work.

Indian food thread. I frequent a small buffet style restaurant near my campus and am in love with it.

best NYC indian restaurants if possible

Looks like a general "Indian food" thread would be good

Some kind of food thread showcasing the glory of Singaporean Food,

"five restaurants you must dine at before you die" or something similar.

Or your best/favorite dining experiences, same sort of thing

"Post the food that your city is famous for" (or something like that) thread. I'm from Rochester, NY, so I would talk about buffalo wings, garbage plates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_plate ), and maybe another thing or two. I could post some pics, recipes, and include some of my favorite restaurants (either restaurants that serve the discussed food or that are worth mention on their own merits). Just give an overview of the food culture of where you live.

a general "What's Cooking In the Kitchen" thread. This would be a place for people who are experimenting in the kitchen to post whatever it is they're doing

Drinking stuff

good reds that are within a non-baller college student's budget ($10-ish?).

How about Napa Valley's Greatest Hits?

incredible grape verities which are endemic to the region of Italy

A whiskey thread

building your own wine cellar.

throwing a (somewhat) classy cocktail party. This'd mean both how to stock a bar and a decent drink list to offer (20-30 drinks covering a fairly wide range).

apertifs

Music stuff

Also, some kind of indie music lovefest thread would be cool too.

I'd like to create a post on noise music (Japanese and other), and perhaps

one on analogue and digital synthesis in your forum.

Start a music thread - who are you going to see at NoisePop ? General concert review/recommendations thread would be good

'80's heavy metal.

Movie/TV stuff

How about an "artsy" movie thread for the masses? I am thinking a movie thread that would present movies that have been in wide release, are readily available at the video store, and that people may recognize the name, if not the movie itself. Examples may include pre-oscar nomination Little Miss Sunshine, Akeela and the Bee, Grave of the Fireflies, Killing Zoe, the 25th hour, etc...

2.) The histoy of HBO original programming

3.) 'X short movie reviews' (where X is currently 14, but will be closer to 40 by the time I post it).

Interests/hobbies/ponderings

I would like to become a professional photograper. I think I have a pretty good eye but know nothing beyond the absolute basics about cameras, the business, opportunities etc. I think the first step is to take some kind of class,

a books thread

Origin of some terms/words.

I wanted to start a thread about guaranteed/non-guaranteed contracts in the big 4.

driving/traffic/commute related nittery I kind of want to discuss, but I'm not going to start any threads until I have something really interesting to contribute, which I think is the whole idea. I've been considering starting a thread where posters post pictures from their commute, once I take some interesting ones from my drive I think I'll do that.

i'd be interested in peoples exp of charity work.

Interesting community service ideas.

I havent had a chance to look through all the different artists general artist recommendation thread

a comprehensive guide for men's fashion, specifically fashion for "going out." What to wear in general, specific items, etc.

that could include this: In addition to that, how about a style guide for the portly gentleman?

Consider starting a cigar thread - Seems to be a fair amount of interest here. Hopefully someone w/ some experience will step up and start this one.

classic muscle cars. Mainly the factory cars from the 64-74 era.

A Martial Arts thread talking about what MA has done for me, and leading into various serious discussino about MA's,

A trip report about competing at CPL/QuakeCon, 2 of America's biggest gaming tournaments.

a GOOD joke thread

Post a picture of your dog" thread.

How to commit crime X and not get busted. Marijuana grow houses, killing a non-public figure, disappearing on a given budget, etc. This one is against site rules, I believe

I want to start a thread about how to pimp my room/apartment

doing the finer things in life on a small budget?

a thread about watches.

non-poker strategy games.

Life stuff

I would enjoy seeing an experiential learning thread for common experiences from a long term perspective. I'm thinking in the 5-15 year range, or so.
Taking a year to travel before going to college
Deciding to have or not have kids
Choosing a specific degree
Major relationship decisions
Any life decisions with a serious long-term impact

when (if ever) is it right to get married?

formula to determine target age range after a divorce

I'm interested in some relationship threads, but not your typical - "Help, I can't find a girl" or "Help, my crotch itches," etc. Ones I would consider much more practical and necessary to think about when getting serious about a relationship and marriage.

How about a thread on living simply (without resorting to a subscription to Real Simple), reducing or eliminating the oft-unnecessary complications of modern life.

lessons you don't learn playing poker. Stuff like the hackneyed aphorisms you hear in the work place (e.g. "Don't burn bridges"). There is a lot of good advice that is trite to people who work in a professional enviroment that I imagine young pros don't get exposed to.

Another one would be applying poker skills outside of poker. For instance, decision making under uncertainty is a rare, desired skill in the professional world. It also happens to be exactly what most successful poker players do.

Ask Golden_Rhino about going back to full time school as a 30+ year old man.

1.) Long-term effects of bad parenting

how to stay happily married for 15+ years, raise kids

a thread on my attempt to quit smoking cold turkey today.

I want to see a thread with all the stories like this: When I was 23 I moved from Perth to Sydney blind...

"I study at Oxford university, ask me anything"

A thread discussing marriage.

love, dating, and relationships. Particularly discussing what women want, psychology, etc

Poker/gambling stuff

Could we have a thread about the conflict between professional careers and poker?

poker players cheating (in cards or on wives/girlfriends)

ways to sneak into the WSOP

experienced live gamblers impart knowledge/wisdom/advice to internet dorks on everything there is to know about various sorts of live gaming/degeneracy.

Travel/trip reports

semi-long trip report of a benefit hike maybe broaden this out into an outdoor/adventure travel thread

south american trip reports

finding a non-hooker girl while in vegas

Planning a trip to Prague.

Politics/opinion stuff

I would start a thread about the idiot who filed the following complaint against his former law firm and the University of Michigan:

police abusing power

america's image to the rest of the world

a thread on the value of religion as culture.

Business/finance stuff

Low noise finacial threads - kind of general, but things like entrepreneurial concerns, portfolio discussion, good financial planning, etc

learn more about real estate soon. Could we get a thread started on REITs?

public accounting, SEC reporting, being a CPA

credit repair knowledge

a thread soon called "experiences starting and/or growing businesses" and let everyone contribute as much as they care to. (to be started week of Feb 12th so woodguy can help kick it off with his experiences)

a thread where people discuss possible business ideas.

a thread about menial jobs
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM

El D,

I would love to have posting privileges here. I don't see myself doing anything but responding at the moment though. I could see myself starting threads later after I get the hang of how this forum will operate.

X
Old 01-31-2007, 05:05 PM

I think a good idea for a thread would be a "Post the food that your city is famous for" (or something like that) thread. I'm from Rochester, NY, so I would talk about buffalo wings, garbage plates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_plate ), and maybe another thing or two. I could post some pics, recipes, and include some of my favorite restaurants (either restaurants that serve the discussed food or that are worth mention on their own merits). Just give an overview of the food culture of where you live.

For big cities, a thorough synopsis would obviously be a chore. People in NYC could either focus on their neighborhood, or just talk about their favorite few restaurants.

I dunno, if someone chooses to start this thread, they can put more thought into the specifics. But I enjoy hearing about different cuisine that different parts of the world have to offer.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 PM

holy [censored] I want a garbage plate right now so bad
Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Default quitting smoking today

I'd like to start a thread on my attempt to quit smoking cold turkey today.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: quitting smoking today

I saw this post by adsman:

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Iggy,

When I was 23 I moved from Perth to Sydney blind. I packed all the gear that would fit on my motorbike and rode it all the way across Australia. When I turned up I knew nobody, I had about a grand in my pocket, I had no job and no place to stay.

Best thing I ever did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to see a thread with all the stories like this. It could be a great motivator for recent college graduates like myself.
Closed Thread