Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: do your friends do this

There a bunch of needs girly men on this board. If one of my friends needs to talk on the phone, or has the inclination to have a convo Im not involved in, even if we are riding in the same car, I dont give a [censored].
Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There a bunch of needs girly men on this board. If one of my friends needs to talk on the phone, or has the inclination to have a convo Im not involved in, even if we are riding in the same car, I dont give a [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
When I drive, my buds sit in the back, and girl in the front.
When my phone rings and I'm driving, I don't answer it, or keep the convo under 1 minute.
When my buddy's phone rings, I turn the music down. If they talked for a long time, I would raise the music to where I could hear it.

Is this a real big peave for some people? Yes, there is proper cell phone etiquette, but it shouldn't be a big deal among friends. You should be able to just confront your friends if they are acting like douchebags.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do guys have phone convos of more than a minute unless its uber important (work etc)?

Maybe its just a Northern California thing, but no one i know has long drawn out conversations on the phone unless its something that just cant wait - and even then its likely finished within 5 minutes.

Also, i believe in the 'leave the room' policy - you dont turn down the TV/radio if you get a call when you arent alone, you go find a quiet spot in the next room or you live with the background noise.

In the case of a car ride with friends with music on, assuming its not super urgent news or work, then just ring the person back.

If the car is silent, and no one is talking, i guess thats one of the exceptions to the rule - but thats only because you arent interupting anything for anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i dont understand who talks to guys just to chat?

you [censored] girly men.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 PM

This is definitely rude. Taking a quick call is reasonable, but taking any call longer than like 30 seconds when you're in any one on one social situation is flat out rude.

Also... I don't really think OOT is really the best place to learn about polite behavior. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM

Depends. If I'm silent Bob and I have no contact with anybody else, then there's nothing wrong with taking a call.

However, if you're in the middle of a conversation and then take a call for a long time, that is rude.

It's most frustrating when a driver has a long phone conversation while driving, especially if they suck at driving without talking on the phone.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether it actually bothers you or not has no relevence to whether it's rude or not. Even if no one here happens to care about it, it's still rude and thoughtless behavior.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:07 PM

oddjob - you are not being a nit, talking on the phone like that in the car is totally rude. If you were out to dinner with someone and they talked on the phone for multiple minutes = also rude. I mean you can make a quick call to deal with something but don't just sit there and chat away for minutes.

Also Re: driving - if I'm driving on a trip I fully expect the passenger to help me stay away and make conversation. Long phone calls, sleeping, headphones are all super rude. Obv. if you're like taking turns sleeping or whatever that's cool. I'm not your f**king chauffeur. Also you should offer to pay the gas 100% if I'm providing the car, splitting is at least something but it should be 100%.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM

This doesn't happen with my buddies in the car, since most conversations on a cell phone with them don't last more than a minute or two. Girl passengers, on the other hand, are on the phone for the whole car ride. Whatever....I just go into "la la" land and drive. It does suck that you can't listen to the radio, but I just listen to her conversation and think "glad I'm not talking to her about (whatever they're talking about)"
Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 PM

http://www.phonejammer.com/cell-phone-jammer/p2jbz.asp

Stick it in your drivers side door and terminate his calls at will.....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:32 PM

If it bothers you and someone has a tendency to do it, mention it. Hopefully they're cool enough to respect that and avoid it around you, but if they refuse it's probably not worth getting indignant over.

This actually came up with me and a friend not too long ago. It kinda bothers me when people do this if it's just the two of us and they seem to be carrying on a conversation and not trying to keep it brief, esp in the car and when eating together. Not so much that I'm gonna make it an issue, but enough that I hope they choose not to do it if they know it bothers me. By the time I realized it bothered me, I noticed virtually all my friends won't stay on the phone for more than 30 seconds or so if they're hanging out with someone (not just me) and I tend to do the same thing, so maybe I'm just uncomfortable with it because I'm used to that just being a given courtesy. It probably has more to do with some sense of insecurity than anything else though and in the end it's my problem it bothers me and not theirs.