Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who had more posts in this thread at the time of this post (I haven't counted)
Tokyo!! 5 41.67%
BluffBank 1 8.33%
BASTARD 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: NYTimes vs. Every Other Newspaper

you talkin' to me? cause if you are, you can most definitely STFU

when someone says the NYT is the greatest paper on the planet, then calls people idiots for disagreeing, it can go political in a hurry...

dumb post for OOT
Old 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM

People who call anything "too liberal" crack me up.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:57 PM

yeah i agree, you guys have made a lot of dumb posts here
Old 10-14-2007, 03:32 AM

NY Times is better than anything out there, it's not even close.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 AM

I really enjoy the USA today... and IDS (my college newspaper LOL)
Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 AM

it's got a good crosswords puzzle, that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]
How did this thread become some retarded political argument? Take that [censored] to the politics forum, losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

idk papers are highly political? Good writing doesn't make for a good paper.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 AM

A few notes:

I read that Sunday Times every week, but BBC online is better than the NY Times.

Anyone who calls the NY Times "elitist" is likely not well educated. I find that most people who refer to anything as elitist prefer reading comic strips or tabloids like the Post.

And as a challenge to everyone who classifies the NY Times as liberal hippie propaganda, please post a link to an article that you feel is biased in some way. Most of you will resort to googling "ny times" +biased and come up with some article someone wrote about liberal bias, but I'd prefer you peruse the online edition this morning and post some links to some left-slanted stories.

BTW I hope I don't have to mention this, but the op/ed page doesn't count. I'm talking about hard news.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A few notes:

I read that Sunday Times every week, but BBC online is better than the NY Times.

Anyone who calls the NY Times "elitist" is likely not well educated. I find that most people who refer to anything as elitist prefer reading comic strips or tabloids like the Post.

And as a challenge to everyone who classifies the NY Times as liberal hippie propaganda, please post a link to an article that you feel is biased in some way. Most of you will resort to googling "ny times" +biased and come up with some article someone wrote about liberal bias, but I'd prefer you peruse the online edition this morning and post some links to some left-slanted stories.

BTW I hope I don't have to mention this, but the op/ed page doesn't count. I'm talking about hard news.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 - Unfortunately for you, OP didn't omit the op/ed page from review. Since the op/ed page is such a big part of a person's perception of a paper it is tough to separate the two.

2 - Your challenge is flawed also. The way a paper presents "news" can carry no less bias than the actual article at times. For example (I did find this in 2.7 seconds on Google, btw), 3 glowing ( 2 front page ) Democratic candidate profiles in a few weeks. 1 Republican profile in the last 3 months. These things happen over and over. Then add the op/ed in the mix and their agenda is clear.

3 - Your comment on "elitist" is telling too. Not to mention wrong.

But, hey, zero for three is batting a thousand dependent upon how you look at it...
Old 10-14-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am generally liberal but even I see the times bias. In fact, as I get older the biases of the Times and NPR are starting to drive me away a little because I hate being told what to think. There are two issues in a media bias, (1) bias in the stories (2) story selection. Presumably the newspaper should be writing the news of the day (at least in their news articles). This includes what 1 story they select for the day out of Iraq, etc. Presumably on slow days they should vary it up.

Easiest example is the Business section will pick the doom and gloom stories during a GOP presidency but not so much during a democratic one. In this particular case, I happen to agree with the doom and gloom stories, but I don't find the Times a credible source because I won't get a counterpoint.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 AM