Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Quitting drinking for a few months,,, anyone tried?

Fat is optional but drunk and stupid is the way to go through college.

Later in life you will yearn for the days when you could surrender enough time to get [censored] up three times a week. Dont waste them on sobriety.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

I think a lot of college kids go through this, and honestly enough, enjoy it while you can, because once you get a little older the hangovers get worse, and your downtime is like 2 days instead of the first couple hours of the day after a binge. Personally, I think if you dont have a real problem, then by teh time you graduate etc, things will take care of themselves, youll realize how to regulate your drinking, and it just isnt as fun as it once was. Otherwise, if you just want to slow down now, regulate your drinking to 2 or 3 nights a week, and start hitting the gym, and use that as your excuse whenever your friends start pestering you to go out. Thats what i did when i wanted to slow down a little.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM

I gave up drinking for 6 weeks before I ran a half marathon, basically to avoid hangovers on saturday and sundays when I wanted to train. It was great. The thing that I really noticed was how much better I slept, because before I gave it up I was having 3-4 beers with/after dinner 2 or 3 nights a week. Also, it was great being able to get up early on weekend mornings, and actually use my days off instead of stumbling around the house with a hangover.

Most of my friends are pretty heavy drinkers, but there was no problem knocking back the ginger beers with them on the weekends.

If you haven't done it before, I strongly reccommend it.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM

if you can't quit drinking for a few months, you obviously have a drinking problem.

if you can't have fun without drinking. then you might just be a boring guy.

if you can't go out with friends with out them trying to force you to drink. you need new friends.

if you cave to peer pressure, well, you got some growing up to do.

i've gone through a lot of phases in my life. i didnt' drink in college for a year, twice. and had just as much fun as i did when i was drunk.

think about it. short term fun of a few months, to a lifetime of success. quite the small sacrifice.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

think about it. short term fun of a few months, to a lifetime of success. quite the small sacrifice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting totally [censored] up on a regular basis should not impact in anyway on your scholarly achievements. Getting a good pass at degree level is just not that hard.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 PM

if you really think it is gonna be that difficult to stop for a few months then it is even more important that you do it...

I was heavy drinker in college... at one point I had some stomache problems (unrelated to drinking) and I had to quit for about 3 months... I still went out just as often.. I just did not drink.. it really wasn't difficult at all...

anyone talking about willpower with regard to this situation really needs to take a serious look at their lifestyle...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:44 PM

Quitting drinking is the best life move I can imagine (unless you're shooting smack or taking it up the ass unprotected). I quit for 10 straight years in 1994 and now allow myself one day of drinking every year on my quit date. I could take it or leave it next year.

I was a serious alcoholic but never blacked out (I can't even imagine this regularly) and NO DUIs out of maybe 200 attempts.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fat is optional but drunk and stupid is the way to go through college.

Later in life you will yearn for the days when you could surrender enough time to get [censored] up six times a week. Dont waste them on sobriety.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-19-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Getting a good pass at degree level is just not that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]
He isn't just trying to pass classes, he will be taking arguably the most important test of his life.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 PM

I took the September LSAT and I didn't drink for the entire month of August. I don't care what anyone says, you won't be as sharp come test day unless you abstain for at least a month.

Also, getting in some practice tests in the AM when I'd otherwise be sleeping one off was key.