Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Another Male vs Female Sports Comparison Question

RMS,

"being that the top tier of world-class runners (i.e., olympic gold medallists/world-record holders) give up serious racing LONG before they "deteriorate" to the level of top women"

Ah, good point, which would indeed push my answers up closer to DS's.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry that I'm not following what we can deduce from these estimates, but I am curious what people think is the sport/activity listed above that the greatest # of men are better at than the best woman. I think it would be quarterback by a decent margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarterback is kind of cheating, because women don't play football at any level. And it's such a skill position that if women actually DID play, I would expect the best female QB's would be better than a lot of younger, inexperienced males. For sports with relatively equal participation, it would probably be some track event. I think the speculation in the other thread was that the best female 100m runner is slower than most decent high school males.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarterback is also the most subjective to rank.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 AM

Your bench seems to be a little too old. I'd cut down ~5-10 years depending on weight class.

Women would probably get into the 50s (58?) at very light weights, but could possibly hit 70 at heavier weights.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:07 AM

if thats 10 pin bowling im pretty sure women are about the same as men...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if thats 10 pin bowling im pretty sure women are about the same as men...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean men and women in general are the same, you are completely wrong. As I have said before, men and women compete against each other on the Pro Bowlers Tour. The men do MUCH better. The highest ranked (and only non-exempt) woman is 54th in points. Only one woman has made a telecast against the men.

The reason is two-fold. One, as pointed out before, men have better hand-eye coordination than women (in general).

Two (not nearly as obvious to non-bowlers): today's lane conditions and equipment favors high ball speed and decent power. Most women can't bowl like most male professionals do (yes, there are exceptions and someone like Walter Ray Williams doesn't throw a big hooking ball. But he throws the ball very fast).

Third, strenght and stamina. Bowling up 30+ games in 3 days is very tiring and requires strength.

If you meant that women bowlers are about the same as senior men, we'll see. As posted above, there will be one senior PBA event this year which will be open to non-senior females. They'll be bowling directly against each other, so we'll see how the best women bowlers compete against the best senior male bowlers.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM

you're probably about 10 years too high on your "indy race card driver" guess. i seriously doubt there's any 65 year old in good enough shape to be remotely competitive in a 2+ hour race
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Golf: I think you're pretty close. Tom Watson, 57, recently shot -7 for the four rounds of the AT&T; I doubt Anneka could have done that from the men's tees on those courses (Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Poppy Hills). I would think Watson would consistently finish better than Anneka if they played the regular men's tour every week. There may be others on the senior tour (Irwin?) who are a bit older than Watson who could also do that.