Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Great bands or performers you saw by accident

[ QUOTE ]
My mom and dad accidentally went to see Chuck Berry while we were on family vacation in Miami. They thought they were going to see Chuck Barris (of The Gong Show) and were terribly disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:27 PM

When I was still in school I was crossing through campus on my way to the drugstore and saw a huge stage set up in front of the library steps, with a crowd of about 300 people waiting. A Money Mark/Beck concert soon broke out. It was awesome.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was still in school I was crossing through campus on my way to the drugstore and saw a huge stage set up in front of the library steps, with a crowd of about 300 people waiting. A Money Mark/Beck concert soon broke out. It was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

What year are we talking about for this out of curiousity? Must have been pre Mellow Gold I'm guessing? That's such a random and amazing duo.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What year are we talking about for this out of curiousity? Must have been pre Mellow Gold I'm guessing? That's such a random and amazing duo.

[/ QUOTE ]
September '96. Beck was doing Odelay tunes.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 PM

A friend of mine used to put on shows in my college's student union. Indie shows mostly. One show he put on was "Cello Fest". Every band playing involved a cello. None of us new any of the bands. I think one of them had an ex-SSD member or some other legendary Boston punk/hardcore band. Just four bands. We all went because it was free and something to do. One band didn't show up, just the cellist did, so he played some classical songs. He was good. Two other bands were garbage: one just a crappy nothing band, and the other a really contrived hardcore band. But the third band that played was Tiger Saw (www.myspace.com/TigerSaw ). Really mellow stuff. They blew me away, and the cellist was cute. Been one of my favorite bands for the past 4 years or so.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 AM

The best gig I saw was Rammstein at Provincerock ~2001 in Finland. I was working gate security, but my shift had ended and I got a chance to see the gig from the sound check booth, a few meters above the crowd. It was [censored] fantastic, with all the fireworks and the singer shouting in German to the crowd who didn't understand anything but went crazy

I bumped (literally) into the singer later at the afterparty, and (I think) he started apologizing in german to me. I didn't understand a word, and I think he didn't understand a word I tried to tell him in english. He ended up shaking my hand and later bought me a beer.

I heard an anectode the next week that the band left the afterparty, bought a minivan full of booze and just went driving around until they found a small cottage by the lake they liked. They broke inside and started getting hammered. After a while, the owner came to check his place (with a shotgun) and caught the band warming up his Sauna and grill. Apparently he understood the language and they managed to convince him that they were a band from Germany and the main performer at the local rock festival. They said they liked his cottage very much and invited him to drink with them. A few days later, they were best friends [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 02:29 PM

in 1996 during sxsw in austin i went to stubb's to see a band. during sxsw all the shows run on a tight schedule and are supposed to start on the hour, every hour. stubb's is outdoors and it was raining so the entire schedule got pushed back an hour.

i wound up standing in the crowd listening to a hip hop band until the band i really came to see started. it was a no-name band opening first before 6-8 other bands played the same stage that night.

i saved the entire schedule from the newspaper for sxsw and was looking at it years later and realized i was watching the fugees.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM

Went to see the band Cracker in concert in late 93 or early 94 or so.
Afterward, everyone was talking about the impressive opening band that nobody had heard of called The Counting Crows.
They really were pretty impressive.

I saw Big head Todd and the Monsters (meh, GF was big into them) and the opening band was another total unknown called Hootie and the Blowfish.
I wouldn't call them a great band or performer but I was impressed enough.

Was in the upper peninsula of Michigan and went to a bar that charged $3 cover or something and saw some all-girl kind of folksy/indie band called Half Looking that really caught my attention.
Was extremely impressed with them.
Had never heard of them before but they got around from Lansing to Ann Arbor, etc for awhile so maybe somebody else around here has seen them.

Went to see the band Antenna which was the Blake Babies without Julianna Hatfield (and they were kind of lousy).
It was at one of those bar/laundry combo places. The first of the the three bands was a Cincy area band called Lazy and they were pretty awesome.
The lead singer was a girl who kind of looked like the girl from Helium I think (Mary Timony, is that her name?).
After 1 or 2 songs she felt it appropriate to introduce themselves so she said, "Hi. We're Lazy."
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM

I went to a launch party for some new company which was being held at the penthouse of a record label in NYC. I went for the free beers/food, and an organizer told me they brought in some up & coming rap group for entertainment.

Me and 50 others ended up seeing a 6-7 song set from Outkast.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a launch party for some new company which was being held at the penthouse of a record label in NYC. I went for the free beers/food, and an organizer told me they brought in some up & coming rap group for entertainment.

Me and 50 others ended up seeing a 6-7 song set from Outkast.

[/ QUOTE ]

sick. this might be the one im most jealous of.