Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have a job that they truly love? (besides poker)

I don't necessarily love my work, but I do love the environment here... I have my own office, this morning I was kicked back with a cup of coffee, feet up in another chair, listening to music while working. Also they're linient with internet usage obv. The company provides Friday lunches from various takeout places for free and usually I play a game of foosball or 2 after lunch Fridays.

It's nothing huge but a bunch of small things like that really add up and make the day more enjoyable for sure.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Jealous of the guys who really love their job: unless I start my own company, I don't think it's possible for me. That being said, I like my job as much as I can like a corportate type job. I work in biz and strat planning for network TV: the business is changing alot which makes it interesting from a planning perspective, and compared to my other jobs, the culture is pretty cool.

-Al
Old 10-19-2006, 01:00 PM

I suppose, to be honest, with my personality I don't know that there's any job I'd love for very long. I don't think I'm a naturally happy person. I burn out and get bored with things fairly quickly.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 PM

I'm a grad student studying something I find incredibly interesting. I make $24k a year doing it too!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a grad student. It's a lot like having a job, except you get paid crap

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily true, depends on the field. I make $27k/yr (YES I AM A BALLER!) with no tuition/fees. I feel it's a pretty damn good salary to be paid to go to school.

[/ QUOTE ]
damn. fellowship?

my roomie has a DOD and gets ~30ishk a year after the bonus from his department.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Hobbs,

I've got a nice little fellowship on top of the base salary, which is funded via the NIH.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Al,

"unless I start my own company"
"biz and strat planning for network TV"

Let's do it. I love my job (my last three have been my own company), but the only way I could love it more is to be in an industry segment that I really love - generally something entertainment oriented - books, movies, TV, celebs, fashion, sports, whatever. So, the next company I start will be somehow related to some field which I spend my personal free time doing. Hopefully I can pull a YouTube soon so I can jump straight to my goal of owning a pro sports franchise. I think that would be a really fun job for me.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM

El D,

What sport though? Are we talking MLS or NBA?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jealous of the guys who really love their job: unless I start my own company, I don't think it's possible for me. That being said, I like my job as much as I can like a corportate type job. I work in biz and strat planning for network TV: the business is changing alot which makes it interesting from a planning perspective, and compared to my other jobs, the culture is pretty cool.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

First part of this post really sums it up exactly for me.

I was talking about this with Scrub the other day, and we both agreed that we want our own companies, only we have no ideas and no money.

Regarding the TV realm, thinking back, that was really the only time I've worked where it didn't feel like work. First, when I worked on my cable TV shows in college. Second, when I interned at The Golf Channel. I worked on Golf Central, and there wasn't a single day I didn't want to go in and work on that show.

Third, looking back, was probably when I was the co-anchor and weather anchor for the morning show at my first TV station. Getting up early in the morning was tough, but I had a lot of fun on those shows, and working with that crew. When I think back on my time in TV the only thing I miss was doing the weather. I still think about getting back into it.

As for today though, this past weekend my wife and I went back to WSU (Pullman, WA baby) for Homecoming, because there was a 20th anniversary of the student TV station there. We got to hang with a bunch of our friends who are down in LA now, and they pretty much all are doing cool things and seem to love what they're doing. I was very jealous. A bunch of them are working on a project that I should make a separate post about.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how'd you get into tutoring? I used to do it in college and it sounds like a sweet way to pick up some extra cash and help kids out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went on craiglist. I get $28 ph under the table and for trig and calc its $35. Ya i mean its fun and its rewarding when they understand it they way I teach it

[/ QUOTE ]
I tutored math for a couple years. You are charging way, way below market value, particularly for the income of the families you're talking about.