Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Silent Hill (trailer) best game-movie adaptation of all time?

It is a crying shame that we've gotten this far into a video game to movie thread without any mention of the all-time great Tomb Raider. Perhaps a bit lacking in terms of dialog, acting and writing, but Ms. Jolie more than made up for that in visual appeal.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5m2tJU1EG_wA45CjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12km1pdf0/EXP=1145993005/**http%3a//www.impawards.com/2001/posters/lara_croft_tomb_raider.jpg[/img]

Swede
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM

I beat the first Silent Hill when it first came out, and I thought it was a pretty good game. I only played parts of the next three games in the series. I consider the game to be the most disturbing, and scariest game ever made. To actually live the the live of one of the characters of the games would be terrible.

I saw the movie yesterday with two of my friends. One friend played the series about as much as I, the other has played and beat each of the games, and it is his favorite video game series. Each of us enjoyed the movie. The dialouge was bad at times, and a few parts of the movie were a bit hard to follow; however, overall it was a well done movie, that fans of the game, or fans of horror movies in general should enjoy. There are a lot of worst horror movies that come out than Silent Hill. This movie has a pretty decent plot line, and is extremely violent, and disturbing. Those characteristics are what most horror fans expect from movies.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:57 PM

As someone who has played the game, do you think you could answer this question for me (in white, because it's a spoiler): <font color="white">How did they come to be in some alternative plane of existence at the end of the movie? Did the movie ever answer that question?</font>
Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As someone who has played the game, do you think you could answer this question for me (in white, because it's a spoiler): <font color="white">How did they come to be in some alternative plane of existence at the end of the movie? Did the movie ever answer that question?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played the games, but here's my explanation:

WARNING THIS IS A SPOILER SO I WILL PUT IT IN WHITE:

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE:

<font color="white">The movie contains two worlds, the dream world and the reality world. Rose and Sharon are still trapped in Alessa(the demon's) dream world, because if you remember that scene at the end of the movie where everyone's getting their ass kicked in the church, Rose tells Sharon to look away from what's going on. But Sharon doesn't heed her advice and looks into Alessa's eyes. Remember that Sharon was the only good and pure part of Alessa left, and looking into Alessa's eyes corrupts Sharon, the last good part of Alessa. So Sharon is now Alessa and Alessa and Rose go back to the house but they are in a different world, or a different dimension, than Rose's husband and the former Shannon's father. The fog is also present at the end as well, which leads me to believe that the director wanted us to realize that they were still in the dream world. So even though Rose and the now-Alessa have left the physical boundaries Silent Hill, they are actually still there </font>

Does that explain it for you?

FWIW, I also thought the movie sucked, because if you have to think that much about a movie then it obviously sucks.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Appreciate the spoiler text.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I also thought the movie sucked, because if you have to think that much about a movie then it obviously sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reading the spoiler, this makes me about 150% more confident that I'm going to like the movie.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 PM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silent_hill/

Its certainly getting some good reviews, ha
Old 04-24-2006, 06:43 PM

I loved the Super Mario Bros. movie.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Appreciate the spoiler text.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reading the spoiler, this makes me about 150% more confident that I'm going to like the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, I don't think he meant "thought-provoking" movies suck. I think what he was saying is that you actually have to actively think about the movie while you are watching it; that is, you have to make the logical leaps over the gaps (and there are a number of them) that the director leaves.

This (for me) was not the type of movie that made me think about my life and the world, it made me think about why everything in the film was explained so poorly.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:45 PM

Thanks for that explanation, it seems pretty reasonable.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, I don't think he meant "thought-provoking" movies suck. I think what he was saying is that you actually have to actively think about the movie while you are watching it; that is, you have to make the logical leaps over the gaps (and there are a number of them) that the director leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Tron, that's exactly what I meant. I'm certainly not against movies that make people think, but it really detracts from a movie when you have to follow it incredibly closely because every detail is crucial.