Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: What\'s amount of profit is considered \"killing\" 1/2 NL?

I play $1/2NL
at Seneca Niagra and have no problem sustaining $30-$40/hr per session ove 2 yr period.Only problem is my sessions are only 5-8hrs ea. 2 hr drive each way sucks.

There are a couple regulars that always have $600-$1400 on the table from playing all night and then some, about 16 hrs. They never give a straight answer when asked how long they have been playing that session.The max buy in is $100
Old 04-24-2006, 02:53 PM

I think I know one of the guys you are talking about he looks like Zagosh from Rounders. That guy is one of the few winning players at the game.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Thank you sir. I have never played at Ballys (or Resorts or Sands). I appreciate the input.

-Yarney
Old 04-24-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play $1/2NL
at Seneca Niagra and have no problem sustaining $30-$40/hr per session ove 2 yr period.Only problem is my sessions are only 5-8hrs ea. 2 hr drive each way sucks.

There are a couple regulars that always have $600-$1400 on the table from playing all night and then some, about 16 hrs. They never give a straight answer when asked how long they have been playing that session.The max buy in is $100

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the concept of "my records show I am making x dollars per hour, after playing y hours" just totally lost on people?

What the heck is the obsession with "I made 70 dollars per hour on my last session". WTF does that type of thing mean?

I'm not really expecting that mindset on a board of supposedly knowledgable poker players.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play $1/2NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the concept of "my records show I am making x dollars per hour, after playing y hours" just totally lost on people?

What the heck is the obsession with "I made 70 dollars per hour on my last session". WTF does that type of thing mean?

I'm not really expecting that mindset on a board of supposedly knowledgable poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, many of us have jobs and don't need or want to keep good records - we're just happy to know that we're winning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i am interested however to know what people who play WAY more than me have been able to sustain at 1-2 nl...so i know what it means when i have 3 sessions in a row > $50/hr i.e. are there there people good enough to sustain this kind of win rate long term?

if this was my job, believe me, i'd know already!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM

I play $1-2 and $2-5 NL and over the last 1,000 hours my winrate is $55/hr. I am pretty sure that I can sustain this. I am not a pro and play in a home game once a week and long sessions at B&M's on weekends.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play $1-2 and $2-5 NL and over the last 1,000 hours my winrate is $55/hr. I am pretty sure that I can sustain this. I am not a pro and play in a home game once a week and long sessions at B&M's on weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, TAG poker against players who essentially play their cards and don't think about anything else, this rate is definitely sustainable

[ QUOTE ]
iM UP 6800$ FOR 2006 IN LIKE 135 HOURS.....live only..

[/ QUOTE ]

well what do ya know...$50.xx/hr
Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

well, many of us have jobs and don't need or want to keep good records - we're just happy to know that we're winning [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
if this was my job, believe me, i'd know already!

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year, I made 1/15th of my annual salary at poker.

I still keep records. How in the world will you know if you are a winning player if you do not keep records...net win/loss per session and hours played at a minimum.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Potential long run win rate at NLHE is largely function of 4 things.

1) Skill level of the villains

2) Skill level of the hero

3) Size of the blinds

4) Amount of the typical/average buy-in

I think this last one is frequently over-looked and has a disproportionaly large effect on lower limit (e.g. 1/2) games.

A winrate closer to $30/hr at a 1/2 is far more feasible in a game where the average player is buying in for $300 than where the average player is buying in for $100.

My data on 1/2 NL is limited as (as a tendency that has been mentioned) I only stayed at that limit for about 5 or 6 months. While I was in the 1/2 I had right at about a $20 win rate.

I think that long term, $30/hr at 1/2 is really pushing the "limit". It would take a player skilled at efficiently pounding the donkeys AND the donkeys buying in for more than the average joe at 1/2.