Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Question for ACists about charity/welfare

[ QUOTE ]
I think the question if are these programs your talking about worthy of support. If they can't raise the funds under #1, i think you have your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't addressed the free rider problem. Why should I support a charity if I know my individual contribution isn't going to make a difference?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:55 AM

It is going to make a difference. The difference it is going to make is going to exactly equal to the contribution you put in.

Take an example. When I was a kid my mother stocked far more asthma medicine then I could ever need. Huge amounts of waste. But, her health insurance covered the whole thing (except maybe a small deductible). The additional medicine provided little benefit, but since there was little cost to her, she gladly consumed more. Of course, in reality, if she had to bear the true cost of this transaction she would never agree to it. But, she figures she is getting other people to pay for it, so why not.

Forced taxation leads to a system of over-consumption of government. Everyone knows that the government will take taxes from them no matter what. It is very hard to ever stop the government from doing that. So why not get it to pay for things !I! want (getting the government to spend is easy). After all, I'm buying it with someone else's money.

That fact that most people would like programs if other peoples taxes paid for it is not all that different from the fact that people would like to buy a ferrari with other peoples money. And your government programs that nobody would support on their own are just that, something YOU want, not something society wants. YOU want to feel like you are saving the world and think your a great person, you just don't want to pay for it. If people felt strongly about something, they would find a way to make it happen.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 AM

Amen brother. Generosity with other people's money.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the question if are these programs your talking about worthy of support. If they can't raise the funds under #1, i think you have your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't addressed the free rider problem. Why should I support a charity if I know my individual contribution isn't going to make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people give money to private charities then?

natedogg
Old 03-09-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: Question for ACists about charity/welfare *DELETED*

Post deleted by [censored]
Old 03-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Old 03-09-2007, 10:25 PM

Does anyone have any links or stats on how much charity is currently being provided in the US?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any links or stats on how much charity is currently being provided in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to this link, charitable contributions were about $240 billion in 2003, or about $800 per capita.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Large cartoon deleted for space)

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see what this cartoon has to do with the subject of this thread, i.e. the provision of assistance to helpless people under AC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's so hard to draw a parallel between provision of assistance and provision of food.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are discussing the provision of assistance that people cannot afford to buy for themselves, through no fault of their own. The cartoon seems to imply that they could just buy whatever they needed because the prices would be so low under AC.