Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Gentleman, give it to me straight, do you think the sky is falling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
jur but it was a lot easier to use a CC or debit card.

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter. New players will use what is given to them. They want to play real money, the see epassporte and they use it. These very same players have no idea what is happening with neteller. You guys have to remember what 2+2 and P5's are. A) They are players who play poker seriously, study it or at the very least have bought a book, we follow things MUCH MUCH more closely then most. How many fish do you think got ANY money stuck in Neteller? I would say probably 2% of the effected people. Do you think they even know? They just think that Neteller isnt available anymore but epassporte is. B)These forums are echo chambers in the sense that one person says something bad then another and another and hysteria grows, everyone needs to relax and roll with the punches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true. I think lots of fish follow the poker world really closely, but just don't really get how to play because they're not able to separate the really bad poker advice from the really good ones. Think about how common it is for a fish to reference thepokerdb or sharkscope during a Stars tourney.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:37 PM

Good (?) thing I've never been a winning player online. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I play pretty often live and you'd be amazed how many people think "you can't play poker online anymore".
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot of people still can. my debit card works now, and it actually never used to...go figure.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just went to my bank to deposit a 9k check from Pokerstars. It took about 20 minutes for them to figure out what the hell kind of check it was and attempt to verify funds. They still ended up putting a 5 day hold on the check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Banks in NA put checks on hold according to schedule based on the location of the drawing bank. Everybody knows that, and bringing it up in this context is just empty hype and has no place here.

If your bank took a good time to examine the check consider yourself lucky to have a responsible bank. The business where I work (and yes, I do the books, so I know what I'm talking about) had somebody walk in to a couple of banks around Dec 20 last year and present checks with my company's name, address and account number on; they managed to cash 4 different checks for around $2k each, totalling around $8k. The checks didn't look like my company's checks, and the signature was obviously a computer print. After a brief period the $8k was returned to my company's checking account. Our bank treated the case as a completely routine incident, informed me there was no reason to call the fibs, and didn't even ask to have the original fraudulent checks sent to them.

That your bank takes time to verify the autenticity of your Star's check has nothing to do with harassment of online gamblers - it's just a prudent strategy in a landscape of scammers, hustlers and con-men.

Here in New York word on the street is the "numbers" is still bigger than the state lotto, and bookies hold a bigger turn-over than OTB. Obv. only a few are too concerned about legality and safety of gambling to risk their money on un-regulated, un-secured and otherwise shady gambling ventures.

My take is the drop in online poker players (and playing exclusively on Stars I haven't actually seen it, just read about it here) more likely is due to the negative hype than to real obstackels and risks.

There's really no reason to contribute to a worsening.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter. New players will use what is given to them. They want to play real money, the see epassporte and they use it. These very same players have no idea what is happening with neteller. You guys have to remember what 2+2 and P5's are. A) They are players who play poker seriously, study it or at the very least have bought a book, we follow things MUCH MUCH more closely then most. How many fish do you think got ANY money stuck in Neteller? I would say probably 2% of the effected people. Do you think they even know? They just think that Neteller isnt available anymore but epassporte is. B)These forums are echo chambers in the sense that one person says something bad then another and another and hysteria grows, everyone needs to relax and roll with the punches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with your thoughts here except for the fact that most people are risk adverse. While they do not follow the particulars of the situation, they have heard that online poker is now "illegal" and will most likely forgo doing anything that could get them in "trouble."

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

I've had so many people in the last couple months ask me what am I doing now that I can't play online anymore.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Yea i get that to, people think i'm looking over my shoulder for the feds or something. The media that was published about it really did an awesome job of misinforming the public.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just went to my bank to deposit a 9k check from Pokerstars. It took about 20 minutes for them to figure out what the hell kind of check it was and attempt to verify funds. They still ended up putting a 5 day hold on the check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Banks in NA put checks on hold according to schedule based on the location of the drawing bank. Everybody knows that, and bringing it up in this context is just empty hype and has no place here.

If your bank took a good time to examine the check consider yourself lucky to have a responsible bank. The business where I work (and yes, I do the books, so I know what I'm talking about) had somebody walk in to a couple of banks around Dec 20 last year and present checks with my company's name, address and account number on; they managed to cash 4 different checks for around $2k each, totalling around $8k. The checks didn't look like my company's checks, and the signature was obviously a computer print. After a brief period the $8k was returned to my company's checking account. Our bank treated the case as a completely routine incident, informed me there was no reason to call the fibs, and didn't even ask to have the original fraudulent checks sent to them.

That your bank takes time to verify the autenticity of your Star's check has nothing to do with harassment of online gamblers - it's just a prudent strategy in a landscape of scammers, hustlers and con-men.

Here in New York word on the street is the "numbers" is still bigger than the state lotto, and bookies hold a bigger turn-over than OTB. Obv. only a few are too concerned about legality and safety of gambling to risk their money on un-regulated, un-secured and otherwise shady gambling ventures.

My take is the drop in online poker players (and playing exclusively on Stars I haven't actually seen it, just read about it here) more likely is due to the negative hype than to real obstackels and risks.

There's really no reason to contribute to a worsening.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not a big deal about the hold on the check, but I don't see a lot of casual player's sticking around with all the aggrivation involved with getting money on and off the sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to create hysteria as you implied. You can see in my next sentence I said it wasn't a big deal. I was just saying it is another potential obstacle for the casual gambler we feed off of.

Of course the type's of players we want to keep around don't usually have to worry about cashing check's from poker sites. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with your thoughts here except for the fact that most people are risk adverse. While they do not follow the particulars of the situation, they have heard that online poker is now "illegal" and will most likely forgo doing anything that could get them in "trouble."

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you call people who are trying to gamble "risk averse."
Old 02-08-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you call people who are trying to gamble "risk averse."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you are a gambler doesn't mean you take unreasonable risk. I think the casual online poker player might find gambling + going to jail (perception is reality) unreasonable risk today. Furthermore, the deposit inconvienence is probably even more of a factor in the decision to stop playing online.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Just put in the volume when you can boys, no regrets.