FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: river action
check 69 75.00%
bet < push 17 18.48%
push 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: SB Forum -- March Madness Pool

Quick bump to determine if there is still interest in having me set up these pools.

I saw that a poster with whom I'm unfamiliar created a $20 pool. I won't be joining that because there has been so much scamming of late there are few posters that I trust (no offense to the OP of that post, it's just the way it is).

So anyway, if there is interest, please respond to this post. Also indicate if you are alright with me holding money on Stars or if there is someone else you would prefer. Thanks.

EDIT -- I will be using Sportsline.com instead of Yahoo, most likely weighting based on seed.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM

I'm impatient, so I'm going to go ahead and start setting things up.

Pool #1 -- $10 + Rebuys

Cost -- $10

Entries allowed -- 1 to 3

Link -- http://2plus210r.mayhem.sportsline.com/e

Password -- 2plus2is4

Scoring -- Fibonacci style based on round (1,2,3,5,8,13)

Payout -- 50/30/20 split unless 10 or less entries, in which case winner take all. Tiebreaker is total points in championship game.

To enter, create a bracket and send $10 to 'Homer_Jay' (Nanuet) on Poker Stars.

I will post updates regarding number of entries every couple of hours.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Pool #2 -- $50

Cost -- $50

Entries allowed -- 1 (no rebuys)

Link -- http://2plus250.mayhem.sportsline.com/e

Password -- 2plus2is4

Scoring -- Seed (12 seed winning earns you 12 points, regardless of round)

Payout -- 50/30/20 split unless 10 or less entries, in which case winner takes all. Tiebreaker is total points in championship game.

To enter, create a bracket and send $50 to 'Homer_Jay' (Nanuet) on Poker Stars.

I didn't mention this in the other post, but please PM me with your (1) Sportsline and (2) Stars username so that I can match them to your 2+2 name.

When I display the entries in the forum, I will show only your 2+2 and Sportsline names (Stars name will be kept private).
Old 03-12-2007, 04:37 PM

Just a couple more things worth mentioning...

When you sign up for the pool, your real name is displayed. You can change this by going into Options -&gt; Personal. Also in that section, you can click a box to hide your personal email address. Lastly, once you've made your picks, you can copy them over to the sportsline "bracket challenge" which is for everyone on their site.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

Doesn't the points by seed method seem silly? Picking a 1 seed to run through the entire tournament (6-0), is less significant than picking a 7 to beat a 10 in the first round? I don't even see how you can pick the 1 seed to win in the second round, unless you think they're a 9-1 favorite over their opponent. Predicting realistic outcomes goes right out the window.

Edit - That said, so long as everybody understands the format, there's nothing actually unfair about it. I'd sign up, just because it's something different from all the other brackets I've been filling out. Will you accept money over PayPal or Neteller though? My Stars account hasn't been funded for a while.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the points by seed method seem silly? Picking a 1 seed to run through the entire tournament (6-0), is less significant than picking a 7 to beat a 10 in the first round? I don't even see how you can pick the 1 seed to win in the second round, unless you think they're a 9-1 favorite over their opponent. Predicting realistic outcomes goes right out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally hate the seed method which is why I would only consider the $10.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Picking a 1 seed to make a run through the tournament shouldn't be worth much, since it's the most likely result. Picking a 10 to beat a 7 is much more difficult than picking a 1 over a 16 and as such should be worth more points if you get the correct result. Also, picking becomes more interesting from a sports betting perspective, since the question basically becomes "is the 10 seed better than a +143 dog vs the 7 seed?" Anyway, that is the other perspective.

Keep in mind that most people who posted earlier that were interested in the higher buy in pool stated that they would like points based on seed. I made the rebuy pool more traditional, so there are options for everyone.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Actually I think my logic was faulty there. The 8/9 teams only have about 50% chance of being alive by the 2nd round and the 1 seed is pretty much guaranteed of being there, so I guess if they were a 4.5-1 fav, you could pick them again. Maybe?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM

It is too late for me to edit, but I made a mistake with the links I provided. They should be:

http://2plus210r.mayhem.sportsline.com/e ($10+R)

and

http://2plus250.mayhem.sportsline.com/e ($50)

Performify, if there is any chance you could edit my two original posts with these new links, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 PM

I'll be in for both.

Thanks for setting it up Homer.