Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Couples with differing views on religion

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I disagree on pretty much everything religion-related, and we're also both very stubborn. This obviously wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a casual dating thing, but we've been together for a few years and there's talk of making the ultimate sacrifice. FWIW, I'm in the "religion is retarded" camp (agnostic/atheist), and she's Greek Orthodox. While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers. This seems like it could be trouble down the road.

Blind faith makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a matter of "not being open" (as has been suggested), it's just not how I'm wired. I need to see things for myself.

I'm sure this is a fairly common situation, but I'd still like to hear any insight anyone has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it from a Greek: Don't marry a greek woman.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My girlfriend and I disagree on pretty much everything religion-related, and we're also both very stubborn. This obviously wouldn't be a big deal if it were just a casual dating thing, but we've been together for a few years and there's talk of making the ultimate sacrifice. FWIW, I'm in the "religion is retarded" camp (agnostic/atheist), and she's Greek Orthodox. While she doesn't practice, she still believes in God and wants her children to be churchgoers. This seems like it could be trouble down the road.

Blind faith makes absolutely zero sense to me. It's not a matter of "not being open" (as has been suggested), it's just not how I'm wired. I need to see things for myself.

I'm sure this is a fairly common situation, but I'd still like to hear any insight anyone has.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the kind of relationship where you can make fun of her for her religion and she can make fun of you because you're going to burn in hell then I think this can be made to work. If she gets seriously angry about the subject when you discuss it and has the attitude that you have to share her beliefs to be with you in the long run then it probably can't. Personality is much more important than beliefs in the long run imo.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM

yea one time i dated a muslim girl (which i am obv not either). she didnt want to X, she wouldnt eat at certain places i wanted to take her to for dinner, now that i look back on it i LOL.

if you are not uptight and easy going im sure you can work with someone of a different relegion who is also not uptight.

if you are 100% by the book, whatever book you choose, you better find someone of your same beliefs or youre [censored].....
Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM

me and my wife belong to different religions. we also have different opinions on religions also.
we dont want to have any kids ever. so not a problem for us.

if we wanted to have kids though then i wouldnt have any problems in my wife trying to mold the kids to her religion. who cares.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and my wife belong to different religions. we also have different opinions on religions also.

if we wanted to have kids though then i wouldnt have any problems in my wife trying to mold the kids to her religion. who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that you should care. It's not a small thing that they are being brainwashed into. It's a core belief that can (and in most cases will) run throughout their entire life.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that you should care. It's not a small thing that they are being brainwashed into. It's a core belief that can (and in most cases will) run throughout their entire life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to speak for him, but allow me to speak for him. I think he means that the label is what doesn't matter. The Value system which his kids will create is something that the parents will ultimately have clear control over, regardless of what kind of religious institution they go to.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]How your kids are raised seems like an issue a father should care about.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Dylan's Alias has made some good post in this thread. I'm a practicing Jew and I'm theistic (ZOMG I'M SO DUM!). A lot of atheists are very condescending and think they are smart for coming to a pretty easy conclusion. There are defenite benefits of religion as a Jew I always see my family on holidays this is probably inherently a good thing. I have friends who are athiests/agnostic who still celebrate Jewish holidays because of tradition.

That being said a lot of people assume things that are correlated with religion are caused by religion, both good and bad. Without Christianity there would still be people protesting gay marriage yet since fundamentalists are against gay marriage people often assume Christianity is causing this discrimination. Conversely I would still have arbitrary family dinners if no one in my family was Jewish, Judiasm doesn't cause this, but it facilitates it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:46 PM

I've always had severe contempt for those who require a spouse with the same religious/spiritual/philosophical outlook.

One of my best friends is staunchly atheist, and is likely going to marry a hard-line Black Christian woman. They both are perfect for each other, and manage to understand that differing outlooks can be navigated through within a relationship and, too, can serve as a way to further their own beliefs.

You're future children could easily reconcile their church-going with your lack thereof. Just treat the issue with respect and honesty for all involved and you'll be fine. Work with your wife to allow your children to be exposed to several philosophical outlooks and have them choose for themselves as they grow. Anything else is selfishly arrogant.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM

"Who cares, different religions...I guess the only time it's an issue is if you have a baby, deciding how you're going to raise the child. Which would not even be an issue for us, because we'd be...honest!

You know, just say, like: Mommy is one of the chosen people, and Daddy believes that Jesus is...MAGIC!"