Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 75/150 Taking A Shot Trip Report

I'd think the snail pace of split pot games would cancel out the fact people are so bad at them but I don't actually have any experience.

Either way, congrats on the win. Keep playing the game and post some of the Stud 8 hands in Stud forum.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 PM

grandgnu O8 is also 2x slower than HE. at least. stud8 is even slower. you dont really notice the same slowdown online because the online dealers are way way way faster at dealing the actual cards, reading the hands, and splitting the pots.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM

VG report OP.

Your post reinforces a few thoughts I had about taking a shot like you did:

1. It is good to take a shot at a higher limit like this to move out of one's comfort zone. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I play live LLHE and LL08 and am looking to take some shots a bit higher now. If one always stays and plays at the same limit that they are comfortable with it seems to get harder and harder to move up in limits as time goes by.

2. Players at higher limits can suck, maybe not as much as they do in low limits, but from your report and some others I've read there are some awful players at every limit out there. I used to be under the impression that players at higher limits are all great players. I had always thought that you start low and work up, but a lot of higher limit players started out at the higher limits because they had the $ to do so I guess. Higher limit players are generally better than low limit players, but from your report, some really suck.

PS. How did the young flannel guy with the phones end up doing for the time you were there?
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Higher limit players are generally better than low limit players, but from your report, some really suck.

PS. How did the young flannel guy with the phones end up doing for the time you were there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said, there are some people with money coming out of their ears who can't be bothered to play for lower limits.

I mean, there are plenty of millionaires out there who blow oodles of cash at -ev games such as roulette because they just like to gamble, they enjoy the excitement. So you get your share of businessmen who the money doesn't matter too in the poker games as well.

As for the young kid with the flannel shirt, he had some huge stacks of black and purple chips, so I expect he had been doing quite well for himself.

He seemed loose pre-flop in O8, or aggressive in raising from the CO or button if folded to him. But aside from that, he seemed competent at knowing when to release a hand or give up his aggression.

One of the better players in the game while I was there, with the Seat 1 guy with glasses as well as the Pakistani guy Singh being the two worst players as far as hand selection and chasing all the way to the end goes.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grandgnu O8 is also 2x slower than HE. at least. stud8 is even slower. you dont really notice the same slowdown online because the online dealers are way way way faster at dealing the actual cards, reading the hands, and splitting the pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very valid point, although at this higher limit the players seemed faster themselves in getting to the next hand.

Whereas you might find more slowdowns by players in the lower and middle limits as they "hem and haw" when they're going to fold, or constantly misread the board during showdowns, etc.