Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Nice job of modding........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Here's something you didn't know: neo-nazi = hates Jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

This blog is an ultra ultra ultra right wing source, we might call it neo-con here but it really does border upon the same type of hate-spewed intellectual content that the Nazi's used to establish their POV and gain control over Germany. Even in Israel there have been comparisons of radical pro-Israeli content of this type to the Nazi regime, so its not as far off as you might think.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

More PC garbage. A blog reports on Islamic extremism truthfully and it must be bigoted in your mind. It's the extremist Islamic clerics like the one's I quoted in the thread in question who say women without headscarves invite rape that are the problem, and not those who report on same.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:17 PM

You are right, BluffThis!, islamic extremists are mostly extreme male chauvinists, it just seems like whenever you point out such things, a lot of people use it as ammo for their prejudices/ to justify abuses vs a whole religious/ethnic group etc.. So if you link to such a site you do more harm than good, whatever your intention is, and I doubt that the intention of the site is to have a discussion about it either.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:43 PM

Arnfinn,

That is an old and tired argument, i.e. just because some otherwise truthful reporting about the positions of extremists, or statistical figures on something to do with minorities might be used by people who are admitted racists, that it thus shouldn't be reported.

But the fact is that the truth is important and needs to be reported anyway. However you are correct that legitimate inferences need to be drawn from same in order to use those truthful facts correctly. And I believe that regarding Islamic extremists the following is true: either they are in the majority of all Moslems which I personally think is the case regarding Moslems not living in western countries, or they are a very big minority and in the absence of an effective campaign of resistance against them by moderate Moslems then non-Moslems must act as if they are in the majority, because those attitudes and their consequences are what we have to deal with.

Regarding religious or other philosophical belief systems, while we should respect the rights of individuals to freely believe what they wish and change those beliefs (Islam doesn't though), we don't have to respect all such systems totally or even to a great degree. Some religions are both not only based on extremely far-fetched axioms, but also aren't even logically consistent among their various doctrines.

As a Catholic, I know lots of people don't respect my religious beliefs and that is fine. But as long as I don't try to limit the freedom of others to either believe or not in God generally, or to practice a differing religion, then I believe that my religion is deserving of some minimal respect. But again Islam doesn't do that. While it is true Christianity and other religions may have acted similarly in the past, it isn't the case now, while Islam still believes it correct to not only oppress believers of other religions in majority Islamic countries, but also to impose the death penalty on Moslems who convert to another religion. If it were Christianity doing that in majority Chrisitian countries, and same was reported by some news source or blog, none of these PC types would be calling it bigoted or hateful for reporting same.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM

I would reply to some of this but it is in the wrong forum.

On something else you said, for the umpteenth time, Cyrus was not banned because if "dishonest debating tactics". No official reason was given for his banning but in the run up to it he was repeatedly warned over alleged anti-semitism, incitement to hate, etc, by Mason and Dynasty (charges they repeatedly refused to sustantiate when asked to). They never mentioned his alleged intellectual dishonesty, despite your bizarre obsession with it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:46 PM

Cyrus?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is an old and tired argument, i.e. just because some otherwise truthful reporting about the positions of extremists, or statistical figures on something to do with minorities might be used by people who are admitted racists, that it thus shouldn't be reported.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you in principle that it should be reported, and would never i.e. suggest a law against it. It just doesn't seem like it is possible to have a discussion going on the real subject, the discussion always seems to end up in a bad spot. It is just like the Israel-Lebanon discussion, it started as a relevant discussion and ended up with most posts containing bigotry (in that case bigotry in the form of Israel-supporters being prejudiced about Israel-critics). Interestingly the only places I have seen such discussions not turn out bad and actually be quite productive are in cafés in multicultural neighbourhoods, i.e. some months ago during the Israel-Lebanon war I was in a café with both Arab and Jewish guests and the Arabs managed to admit that also the Israeli citizens suffered from the war and the jews admited that Israel has a track record of using unjustified force. Similarily in Oslo, often the role of women and forced marriages and such has been discussed (when the present moslems have to face tough arguments from female non-moslems they have a hard time defending their beliefs as they contain some logical flaws). Maybe globalization and migration can lead to this debate being conducted in a productive way in 20 or 30 years time.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does everything that a mod does in politics require a thread in ATF? You guys have practically taken this forum over, and nearly every thread is full of politics posters talking about something the rest of us don't care about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why are you wasting time in this thread if you don't care about it? Just don't read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't politics posters keep issues specific to that forum IN their forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
......Because this is the About the forums, forum?
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does everything that a mod does in politics require a thread in ATF? You guys have practically taken this forum over, and nearly every thread is full of politics posters talking about something the rest of us don't care about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then why are you wasting time in this thread if you don't care about it? Just don't read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't politics posters keep issues specific to that forum IN their forum?

[/ QUOTE ]
......Because this is the About the forums, forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is fine for ATF.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Iron, I wanted to apologize for saying you weren't a good mod. I gave it 10 minutes thought and realized that by being put in charge of Politics, you're basically going to get attacked any way you slice it.

Just cause I would mod it differently doesn't mean you're doing a bad job.

Mea culpa.