Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: NL100 bind defense vs 1p0kerboy. Am I weak-tight?

So often the 26$ is mine when i bet flop vs your 3 betting calling range on the button. I think maybe I am dumb. Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 PM

I dont think by three betting you I want action. I dont want to play big pot poker vs you. I want the preflop raise or flop money.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pokerboy, AJ beats your range in this hand, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

its still a bad hand to RR with

[/ QUOTE ]

what are we looking for then? something without any domination? or AQ+?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3) If we see a flop; my hand still has decent equity vs Pokerboy's range, and we can play poker on later streets

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to play a weak top-pair type hand OOP against a good player. It's just not good for business. You're at a huge disadvantage in this sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I realize that seeing a flop vs you OOP in a 3-bet pot with AJo is not by any means an ideal spot for me. What I meant was that I hoped to take the pot down preflop, but if we did unfortunately see a flop, at least AJ has some potential to make the best hand. Ostensibly, I can use my superb skills to get away from a 2nd best hand postflop without losing a lot of money. Realistically, I don't know if this is true or not.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
4) If Pokerboy comes over the top of my 3-bet, I can safely fold, knowing that his range crushes mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a TON of hands that are crushing your range that I'm not coming over the top with. So added to your positional disadvantage is the fact that when I call I'm crushing your range and you have NO additional information about the strength of my hand. I will sometimes call with aces or kings here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, I didn't mean to imply that when you call, you CANNOT have me crushed; merely that when you do 4-bet, you definately have me crushed.

[ QUOTE ]

I would recommend playing more pots in position. In other words, let this one go and steal the guys' blind to YOUR left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing other guys' blinds does not preclude me from defending my own.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, it might be better to make plays like this against players you know have a larger range than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

1pokerboy, your range is plenty big enough open-raising in blind-stealing situations, unless you've just been running hot when you're the button and I'm at your table. I usually will make this same play against a guy who steals 35% of the time. And I will just fold against a guy who steals 10% of the time. You're somewhere in the middle, which makes my life difficult. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

And bottomset made a good point. If you want to put me in my place, do it with your best hands and/or with bluffs. Don't put yourself in a difficult spot with a marginal top-pair hand where not only do you not know if you are good or not but also the villian has the best ability to control the pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been thinking about bottomset's advice also. Bottomset, are you advocating a fold here? Because if so, there seems to be no downside to rasing as a bluff instead. If you think I should call though, then I could see how I should not "waste" value by turning my hand into a bluff.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:22 AM

I take it that 1p0kerboy is a tricky, aggressive opponent who will use his position against you if you give him the chance.

So, given that, I like your entire line as played.

The only other way to play is to just fold preflop. You are OOP vs a tough, aggressive opponent. At FR the blinds aren't going to kill you as much as the reverse implied odds of playing an easily dominated hand OOP vs a tricky, aggressive regular.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:03 AM

Wow 100nl players having discussions like this = bad sign of the times
Old 08-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Ah (full house, fives full of jacks).
Button has 9h 9c (full house, fives full of nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $60.50. </font>
Old 08-14-2007, 01:15 PM

bet the river. he's not going to bluff raise this board, any raise is for value.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:56 PM

Something I didn't notice until the results were shown is that the board rivered trips, giving hero the 5th nuts (since no 5x hand is getting called preflop). You can't be scared of JJ+ here because of the action on the previous streets, bet half pot on the river. I like the preflop reraise too, despite above comments. Your thought process was solid, except for the fold to reraise if you check-raise comment.

Another reason the river bet is good is because if you don't show down, everybody else at the table gets less information from you (no showdown cards seen).
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Man this thread has a lot of people confused and I just skimmed it. The 3betting discussion should be pretty elementary about what hands are good vs. bad 3bets, no?

As played, I like the flop check ok (meaning I don't hate it, but think its suboptimal) although I probably just cbet. If you check it should probably be to c/c though b/c you can't c/r then fold and if he calls a c/r you lose. If I was in your spot I vbet on the end for $42, but like others said 3bet is not very good preflop.