Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HOW FAT IS U
REAL FAT 15 4.09%
130-150lbs overweight 12 3.27%
110-130lbs 6 1.63%
90-110lbs 4 1.09%
70-90lbs 4 1.09%
60-70lbs 2 0.54%
50-60lbs 5 1.36%
40-50lbs 12 3.27%
30-40lbs 20 5.45%
20-30lbs 29 7.90%
10-20lbs 54 14.71%
0-10lbs 66 17.98%
im in shape (lie) 84 22.89%
. 9 2.45%
. 5 1.36%
. 11 3.00%
. 8 2.18%
. 9 2.45%
. 4 1.09%
. 8 2.18%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: The importance of being (Error!)

Ginger is going to go on and solve 3 of the 7 Millenium prizes winning $3 million dollars which she hemorrhages away regularly in high stakes games. She has to drop down to the micros where Fred is grinding making a steady $12 an hour. Fred explains to Ginger that the game is different at the lower level because the players play and think differently. Ginger stays down in the micros grinding with Fred until the next set of Millenial questions roll around. Now who's the genius?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Especially since most, if not all, math problems can eventually be broken down into simple logic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true, not even close unless you mean by exhaustive search (which no human can do) and even then its not true.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is correct here?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Especially since most, if not all, math problems can eventually be broken down into simple logic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true, not even close unless you mean by exhaustive search (which no human can do) and even then its not true.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is correct here?

[/ QUOTE ]
The proof I'm right is beyond simple logic.

chez
Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ginger is useless because you can never know if she is right, unless you know the answer from before.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you could use her answers as testable predictions. if you keep trying and keep asking her questions you would have amazing potential.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ginger is useless because you can never know if she is right, unless you know the answer from before.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you could use her answers as testable predictions. if you keep trying and keep asking her questions you would have amazing potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough, though I suspect if we apply '3rd party' agents to the example it will become slightly different, so looking at it in a 'vacuum' might be better. I don't know, but anyways; it is a good point.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 AM

It seems to me that Fred knows something, while Ginger knows nothing.

Am I smarter than my computer?

Or should I feel dumb for not getting this. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Fred and Ginger sound like caricatures of my parents.

When I was young the three of use used to play card games. My mother was capable of showing deep understanding of the game, and pull of some brilliant plays where it was clear she knew what she was doing. She also often needed to be reminded of the rules and made elementary blunders. A week later she would have forgotten how to play and need to have it explained again.

My father would not forget the rules, unfortunately he is dead now. He had a very logical but more limited mind. He would play the obvious first level strategy flawlessly, but not progress beyond that.

In most real life situations my fathers plodding logical mind was more effective however I am in no doubt that my mother is more intelligent.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Think about things like prime factorization and differential equations.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:16 PM

Saying who is smarter is somewhat arbitrary. Some savants can do amazing calculations but are horrible at other things. It is tough to say if they are smarter than an average person.

What you can say is who is more useful and it is Ginger hands down. Computers exist that can do everything Fred can (I think just mathematica alone could be enough) so he would add pretty much nothing.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Saying who is smarter is somewhat arbitrary. Some savants can do amazing calculations but are horrible at other things. It is tough to say if they are smarter than an average person.

What you can say is who is more useful and it is Ginger hands down. Computers exist that can do everything Fred can (I think just mathematica alone could be enough) so he would add pretty much nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Computers can't do one percent of what Fred can. They can't do word problems.

The tough part about math is not knowing how to solve equations. Its about knowing what equation to solve.