Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: High Quality H2O

Has anyone ever had a dentist tell them that they should drink fluorinated tap water instead of bottled water for healthier teeth?

I have not but i recall reading this several years ago.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

wow i just realized i was mistaken regarding whether or not drinking distilled water is bad for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have no other source of minerals it isn't any less healthy than regular water. It does however taste worse than any decent drinking water and most people would agree if given a taste test.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone ever had a dentist tell them that they should drink fluorinated tap water instead of bottled water for healthier teeth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe in the 60s. There is flouride in almost all tap water now. You brush with it, you cook with it. All toothpaste also contains flouride now so whether or not you get it from the tap is almost irrelevent.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys should watch Penn and Teller episode on bottled water, hilarious stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was great, basically they had an impromptu 'tasting' at an L.A. restaurant. They printed up what was essentially a winelist but for water and had people tasting the different brands, everyone was raving over each one. All the bottles were being filled with a garden hose out back.
I tend to think most bottled water is either from municipal sources or very similar in quality. Certainly there are exceptions, but it all seems to be a marketing-based thing. Mostly I drink Fiji/Volvic/Smartwater, only because that's what my gf buys. She also has the local gourmet market import Sanfaustino (mineral water) because its her favorite. Personally I think it's all a bit silly but I still drink the bottled stuff.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My kid's doctor and dentist both have recommended tap water repeatedly for this reason.

I don't drink a ton of water because it neither has caffeine nor alchohol.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:40 PM

Why not make your own? Surely, hydrogen and oxygen can be bought somehwere.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:17 PM

All,

Fiji
Poland Spring
Aquafina
Brita filtered tap water
Voss
Volvic
Dasani
Arrowhead
Evian

Those of you who can distinguish between these, please tell me which you can distinguish between and how much you're willing to wager. Those of you (pkr, sooga, etc.) who said that one brand was terrible, please let me know which brands you think are fine.

Euro: I saw that at a lounge recently. If you're rolling like J. Brown and buying $1500 worth, that's cool (albeit in a pretty idiotic way, unless this was comped). But a lot of the people at this place were clearly very worried about some busboy accidentally taking away their bottle of Voss water. It was pretty funny.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:25 PM

sooga, Gilbert: Aquafina - bottled at Pepsi plants using processed municipal water. Dasani - processed municipal water with added minerals.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys should watch Penn and Teller episode on bottled water, hilarious stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was gonna bring this up too. In case you don't know what this is about, what they did was bring together a bunch of water connoseiurs (sp?) and gave them each about 5 samples of water which they claimed were all from a different brand of high quality water and they wanted to see which they liked more. The results were standard with some of the people saying stuff like "oh yeah this one really tastes good " or "I can really taste the [whatever] in this one." Then, P&T revealed that all the samples were from the same hose in the back of the restaraunt. Not bad, huh?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 PM

i saw a news program (20/20, dateline, etc.) that taste tested water without the participants' knowledge of the brand. the winner: tap water.
Closed Thread