Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: The \"Lining up jobs\" Thread, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
you think someone from UGA actually has a shot at McKinsey, etc? I haven't even gotten that much interest from lower-level consulting companies.

[/ QUOTE ]

just get a foot in the door by getting an interview and then you're good to go. i work with people from all sorts of places. yes most are ivy leaguers, but some aren't - the part that is hard if you're from UGA is getting the interview, after that it's up to you.

leverage anything or anyone you can - any connection, no matter how flimsy, can help. i was once in a meeting w/ a director who got a call from his friend's brother's daughter who went to wesleyan with a less than stellar GPA, and he got an interview just bc the director was involved with recruiting and was having a good day when he got the call so decided to say OK.

edit: but yeah the recruiting season has passed i think - my friends here from notre dame and UT were definitely proactive and went to the website to submit their resume, called them up, etc. they won't come to your school to recruit since it isn't worth their time, but if you're proactive you have a shot. pretty sure this year mck is done hiring though, not sure about the other big firms but it's usually the same.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:40 PM

So pretty much just business majors here?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Exactly... Half the crap you learn in even a specialized mathematical program won't be useful on a daily basis in industry. It's the critical thinking/problem solving skills with the solid foundation of concepts that matters most.

Thats why I will seldomly entertain interviewers who spend more than a few minutes asking you the nonsense HR questions about where you see yourself in the future, why you wanna work there, etc, etc...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the nonsense HR questions about where you see yourself in the future, why you wanna work there, etc, etc...

[/ QUOTE ] Oh god...that's the crap I suck at answering. I always try to answer a little uniquely and honestly, but it never goes well at all. I feel like they don't even want a smart or interesting answer...they're just trying to find a suitable yes-man and business work-bot. If you're really so concerned with intelligence and curiousity, how about you ask me a difficult logic question and see how I respond?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 AM

If anyone is looking for a job in the Minneapolis, MN area my company is hiring (and is in dire need of help). The job would entail data analysis, setup, and acting as a liason between the IT team and the business team. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:38 PM

To all the actuaries, I have been at my new job for a month. I just passed Exam 1/P, but I got the job before passing. There is a lot of work out there now since there are some new laws for the benefits companies to deal with. If anyone has any questions for someone who just went through this, PM me (though this site is blocked at work, which sucks).
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 AM

Research and development at US Steel, probably only temporary. I majored (am majoring) in materials sci and eng but my concentration is ceramics and not metals
Old 03-02-2007, 02:59 AM

Prop trading for JP Morgan
Old 03-02-2007, 01:43 PM

What do you guys think the best places to look for with an Economics degree are?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think the best places to look for with an Economics degree are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a few friends w/ econ degrees and they easily found accounting type jobs right out of college. One in Mpls, Boston, NY, Seattle & Raleigh, so I'm sure wherever you are you can find something.