Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Wii - Big Three Look to EXCEED Expectations

I'm not concerned about them producing anything good before next summer or so. I can't imagine the big 3 plus Mario Kart not being able to occupy me until then. If those games create more publicity for Wii (and they should), that only enhances the chances of a solid '08 list of offerings.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do we need a prop bet? all 3 will be released by xmas

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you so confident? Nintendo is notorious for delaying games, and especially notorious for not releasing multiple huge property games in close competition with each other. It is just something they haven't done historically. They never released "huge" property games close together on N64 and they never did with Gamecube either (if we define huge property games as Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Super Smash, or any other title that is supposed to be their holiday "gem.") I just remember getting upset back in the day when you'd look forward to a huge game from Rare, and a huge Nintendo property, and another huge Nintendo property all supposed to be released one holiday season and it never panned out.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong, but historically this hasn't been something Nintendo has done. The only thing I can hope is that they want 3 huge "must have" games to compete against not having Halo/GTA IV. I'm just basing my prediction on Nintendo's history of launching big games over the last decade....it isn't something they have done before, but I hope you are right and it changes.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 PM

I agree with Jah, Nintendo not only wont but it shouldnt release all 3 close together.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like The Bigs at all. The pitching is ok, the fielding/throwing is not very good, and the hitting is flat-out awful, with there being a very noticeable swing lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big disappointment because my favorite game on Wii sports is baseball. I still play that reasonably often even though it's obviously very shallow with no fielding. I would take a simple mii baseball game where you moved the fielders using the nunchuk and could somehow run the bases and make throws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, I thought with the ultra-simplified gameplay of Wii Sports baseball that it'd suck, but it's one of the games I play most often.

In a Wii baseball game, I'd like to see the throwing/fielding be nunchuk-based, like in 'typical' console baseball games in the past, where you'd point the d-pad to whichever base you want, and then press a button to throw/run to it. In The Bigs, if you want to throw to a base, you'd hold down a button, then jerk the wiimote to the (right/up/left/down corresponding to 1b/2b/3b/home), and release the button. Sounds halfway decent, except sometimes when you're throwing, say, to first, it won't register the throw, but as you're moving the wiimote back to where it was, it'll register that as the throw instead, causing you to throw to third. God, that's annoying.

In an ideal Wii baseball game, the pitching would be almost all wiimote-based, the hitting would be all wiimote-based, but the fielding would be almost all nunchuk-based.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like The Bigs at all. The pitching is ok, the fielding/throwing is not very good, and the hitting is flat-out awful, with there being a very noticeable swing lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

no clue what you're talking about. there is zero swing lag for me and fielding and throwing is simple.

i'm lovin the bigs, it's a fun arcade style baseball game.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no clue what you're talking about. there is zero swing lag for me and fielding and throwing is simple.

i'm lovin the bigs, it's a fun arcade style baseball game.

[/ QUOTE ]

zero swing lag? you have to start your swing like a half-second early, which is very noticeable. Also, the swing lag has been well-documented in many of the reviews (google for 'the bigs wii swing lag' and there will be a slew of complaints). And just to make sure, you are talking about the Wii version right? As far as I know, the PS3, 360, and PS2 versions are pretty good.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM

reviews stated the ps3/ps2/360 also had swing lag; that it was built into the game for some inexplicable reason
Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reviews stated the ps3/ps2/360 also had swing lag; that it was built into the game for some inexplicable reason

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't read the reviews for the ps3/2/360; I'd just assumed the swing lag was something inherent in the wiimote interaction. Built-in swing lag? God that's retarded.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Jah, Nintendo not only wont but it shouldnt release all 3 close together.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they should release all 3 by the holidays. Consider it a 1-2-3 TKO on the other systems. They will have plenty other good games coming out in '08. They just have announced that far ahead yet.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 PM

Well, it has generally been accepted at various times that Nintendo releasing big cluster of hits would be good for them. It just isn't something they have ever actually done. I think it would be huge for them to really establish a killer base for the "hardcore" crowd with three beloved franchises and to have direct competition when Halo/GTA (which they don't have) are going to be getting crazy buzz. I'm just saying it's something they haven't ever done in the past, and the fact that they say they will this time means largely nothing considering how often they have said "game X this holiday guarnteed" only to have it delayed.