Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Are You into Time?

If you ask me,

Time definitely exists, but it is only because of our particular location and situation that we're able to distinguish it from any other dimension. I can move any direction in time but I have to obey the laws of nature: just like I must conserve momentum and energy when I move in space. All points in space and time exist indefinitely, 'past' is just a man-made concept to define the extent of our influence on nature with respect to how we are aware of ourselves.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If there really is no such thing as time, then does this mean there is no such thing as eternity? Or how about infinity?

[/ QUOTE ]
I haven't read any replies yet, but I think most physicists and even a lot of religious people would agree that eternity is the absence of time.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM

The only issue I have with the OP is a similar one to PairtheBoard had. It was later explained using the term logic, but logic doesn't apply to the statement below:

"(If time doesn't exist) You no longer have to account for "what created God", since without time, it becomes more reasonable to assume that God could've always existed."

To me, if there is no time and thus no beginning of time, it becomes logical to assume that you don't have to account for "what created the universe" any more. If our universe is just a small part of some eternal universe with no beginning or end, then that makes a god redundant, as it just complicates the issue by introducing an omnipotent deity into the equation. This is known as using Occam's Razor.