Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Wacky Home Game Rules?

[ QUOTE ]
At my otherwise normal home game, rabbit hunts cost a big blind which is put into the next pot.

I have tried to get rid of this a couple times, but people seem to like it. The good side of this rule is that we usually only have one or two rabbit hunts per night, the bad side is that every time it happens it really slows the game down, as people try to negotiate splits of the fee, then some newbie has to be filled in on what all the discussion is about, then the next hand is weird cause there is an extra big blind in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make the would-be-rabbit-hunter expose their hand if they want it hunted. Doesn't cost anything but generally cuts down on the number of rabbits in a night. Also if someone's cards are mucked they have a hard time requesting it. Usually it's just the folder of a heads-up that will expose and hunt.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 PM

So, is a rabbit hunt where you ask the dealer to run the board out after everyone has folded to a bet/raise?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 AM

Played in a couple of those 'no check-raise' games, had no problem with it. The reason most players like that rule is they aren't very good! They happily called along with everything and anything.

One of the most vocal proponents of the rule would bet almost every time after a check, so I did the ol' 'check call' on him, which ticked him off. (This is where they invoke the bet-or-get-out rules in some games).
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of a home-game rule where you can make a wrap-around straight - e.g. JQKA2. I heard that someone didn't realize that it was just a home game rule and played that hand in a b&m, expecting win with a str8 when he just had A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a gf try to do that one time. I laughed at her.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my otherwise normal home game, rabbit hunts cost a big blind which is put into the next pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the issue with this, it seems awesome. Everyone has the potential to benefit, and it would hold down the number of times the people do this a game.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM

There was a place that was running a tournament of a game called 3 up 3 down. 6 card stud three upcards, three downcards.

Not only was there no check and raise allowed. There was No call and reraise allowed. Once you called in a betting round your options never included raising,
Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, is a rabbit hunt where you ask the dealer to run the board out after everyone has folded to a bet/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, usually it is a sign that a player was on a draw.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, usually it is a sign that a player was on a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

and also a request from a results oriented donkey...
Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Our rule for rabbit hunting is that you have to show your hand. This benefits everybody. Except the person hunting, so shh, don't say anything.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM

As someone said earlier, Rabbit hunting also promotes donkism. If the hunter hits his card on the hunt, he will be more likely to play crap suited futher into the next hand. If he doesn't hit it, at least everyone can see how he plays a draw. Not allowing Rabbit hunting would not give you hat information.