Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Why am I not allowed to work part-time?

HERE, HERE! I wish I could have those same options as well. No employer I have worked for would understand this at all.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Well, I currently have a 40 hour a week job. There are still alot of those around. Vacation time is the usual two weeks though.

Really your only choice is to go into business for yourself. That is significantly easier here then Europe. For instance, starting your own CPA firm or consulting.

Most businesses don't even look into it as there is not much demand and healthcare is such a huge fixed cost.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Fertility

Another reason I just realized, having just started supporting my parents.

American's have more kids, kids are expensive, therefore they must earn more money.

Also, American employers are very task oriented. They don't like the idea of someone walking off the job with an unfinished task cause it's 5pm. That's why the vast majority of jobs pay salary.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh wait... The reason you get a professional designation is so that you can bill ungodly hourly rates later. Pay your dues like everyone else and move on. Or suck it up and work for yourself. Heard there were openings in Western Europe.

Businesses exist to make money. I'd hire you part time in a second if you could prove unequivically that you were more profitable than my 50 hour a week workers. Very tough to do when you are selling TIME as a professional.

Unfortunately most of us 'leash holders' are cynical, jaded, pricks that have to be SHOWN that this is true. Work for a year. Prove it. Then request a change to your hours.

Be aware that SOMEONE WILLING TO WORK is always going to come along and eat your lunch.

Perhaps I just got up on the wrong side of bed. [/End Prick]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly understand your point of view, but I believe that we are coming to a point where work is invading a few things that might be as important in life. I guess I am willing to work or I would not have had 3 years in the workforce without having any issues. I am frustrated, however, that the quality of work is secondary to the quantity of work. I am motivated by getting work done...I am not motivated by sitting there whether I'm done or not. Since our business is seasonal, I work 52-65 hours per week for about 3 months and then I drop back down to the regular 40. My workload is harsh for those three months and then it becomes reasonable. For about 10 weeks, there is little work to be done...but I still have to sit there. I would just prefer to have some of my time back rather than the money.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I currently have a 40 hour a week job. There are still alot of those around. Vacation time is the usual two weeks though.

Really your only choice is to go into business for yourself. That is significantly easier here then Europe. For instance, starting your own CPA firm or consulting.

Most businesses don't even look into it as there is not much demand and healthcare is such a huge fixed cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

The healthcare thing is definately true and it is not even an issue in Europe. I think, at some point, this will change, however (in that America's healthcare crisis is a major problem that will continue to get bigger).
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course, if you own the factory, these are very good beliefs for your workers to adopt.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are now working longer hours that mideval(sp?) peasants did. Speaking of the factory owner, don't the workers have the power? I mean, without the workers, the owner is nothing and vice versa. What if all American workers fought back together?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd hire Mexicans.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 PM

People don't want it (at least not enough to give up thier money). If employers felt they could get quality people to work for them if they offered less hours then they would do so. For instance, my company offers women an incredible amount of flex-time so that they can retain women instead of having them quit when they have kids.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:58 PM

Someone else brought this up, but try a temp agency. I worked for one for awhile.

You can set your own terms, take as many breaks as you want, hours are usually less then 40.

I used accounttemps.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone else brought this up, but try a temp agency. I worked for one for awhile.

You can set your own terms, take as many breaks as you want, hours are usually less then 40.

I used accounttemps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lehigh...are you in the same profession?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:42 AM

I currently work 25 hours a week at my day job. I started out full-time, got fed up with certain coworkers, and told the president I was leaving. At the end of my 2 weeks notice I casually mentioned that I would be willing to stay if I could cut my hours, and here I am.

Sadly, I think that being willing to walk and not look back will get you further with management than any rational argument, when it comes to getting what you want out of a job. It certainly worked that way for me.