Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Well known tournament players who really post about poker

I'd take one post from Phil Ivey over a hundred of mine, and it's not close [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Gimme about a decade or so...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take one post from Phil Ivey over a hundred of mine, and it's not close [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Gimme about a decade or so...

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean in 10 years you'll be so senile you won't remember your own stuff, eh?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I will take one post from Adanthar over 100 posts from Phil Ivey"

Come on man, thats the most absurd thing that has ever been posted on this board

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what you will. Without exception, each of the worst professors I had at Berkeley were either nobel laureates or field-medal winners.

Phil Ivey seems to me to be the perfect example of a virtuoso player who could never impart his way of winning to other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you base this on? The fact he hasn't written a book, probably because he's too busy earning a billion dollars crushing the highest limits?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I will take one post from Adanthar over 100 posts from Phil Ivey"

Come on man, thats the most absurd thing that has ever been posted on this board

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what you will. Without exception, each of the worst professors I had at Berkeley were either nobel laureates or field-medal winners.

Phil Ivey seems to me to be the perfect example of a virtuoso player who could never impart his way of winning to other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you base this on? The fact he hasn't written a book, probably because he's too busy earning a billion dollars crushing the highest limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that his biggest talent is reading other players, something which is very difficult to teach. The fact that he has so much natural talent to rely on, which is unteachable.

You seem to think I devalue Phil Ivey as a player. In fact, the opposite is true. He is a rare natural talent.

However, true virtuosos usually make lousy teachers, because they can't put themselves in the shoes of beginners with less talent. It's true in any field. Ask any doctor whether he'd like to take a basic med-school class with the world's best surgeon. The answer is likely to be "hell no!" I took a math class with a field-medal winner (the equivalent of the Nobel prize for math). Worst f-ing class I ever had, but that doesn't mean the man wasn't a genius.

There are exceptions, and for all I know, Ivey may be one. I just picked him at random.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 PM

It is amazing how wrong u are
Old 11-10-2005, 07:39 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
The fact he hasn't written a book

[/ QUOTE ] word on the street is he is writing a book, so we will see how Ivey writes [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Annie Duke posted here ~18 months ago, and we had a great thread on the merits of completing with 32o from the SB late in a tourney with over 100 posts.

Paul Phillips has posted here on why you should take small edges early in tourneys, and also found an instance where folding AA preflop outside of a satellite MIGHT be correct and why.

Greg Raymer has contributed in many great threads in the past on many topics. Some that come to mind are detailing when and how to use the stop and go, and how to play mid pairs UTG in the late-mid stages of tourneys.

But Annie had to listen to people ask about how happy her marriage was,
Paul had to put up with a fiction writer troll veering off course, and
Greg had one repeated poster disparage his wife’s physical characteristics.

And now none of them post here regularly anymore. Imagine that.

I’ll say one thing. If I were to become super famous tourney player, I would not post here under my real name.

-g
Old 11-10-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah,
I also am curious who you are. Your post that i read on Wotmog seemed brilliant to me, and I don't think that very often on here. I am surprised more people are not making a bigger deal over what you wrote there, I certainly book marked it and want to really look at it some more.
-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believes he's real. Nobody has seen him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear gergery tell it, anybody could have worked for ericicecream. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. One story the guys told me - the story I believe - was from his days in Turkey. There was a petty gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power you didn't need pocket aces or chips or even numbers. You just needed the will to raise when the other guy wouldn't. After a while they come in chips, and then they come after ericicecream. He was small time then, just playing suited connectors, they say...

--g
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believes he's real. Nobody has seen him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear gergery tell it, anybody could have worked for ericicecream. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. One story the guys told me - the story I believe - was from his days in Turkey. There was a petty gang of Hungarians that wanted their own mob. They realized that to be in power you didn't need pocket aces or chips or even numbers. You just needed the will to raise when the other guy wouldn't. After a while they come in chips, and then they come after ericicecream. He was small time then, just playing suited connectors, they say...

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still laughing!!!!!!!

One of the best movies ever.

You nailed it!!!

You need to post more here too, and quit screwing around with games that split the freakin pot!

Ha!

Woodguy
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 PM

nh