Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Sklansky Hand Rankings Destroyed! >=)

This theory is very close to the "Get Smart" theory about life. In that TV series the good organization was "Control" and the bad guys were "Chaos". Control always won - but they always did things the wrong way and just kind of lucked into their victories. The star of that show, Don Adams, never was able to parlay his one TV series success into stardom just as I am afraid that you will never be able to win with your fantasy theory anywhere outside of that heads up $1 game with your brother. I think you have a shot against your brother because, my guess is that he shares some of your genes.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This theory is very close to the "Get Smart" theory about life. In that TV series the good organization was "Control" and the bad guys were "Chaos". Control always won - but they always did things the wrong way and just kind of lucked into their victories. The star of that show, Don Adams, never was able to parlay his one TV series success into stardom just as I am afraid that you will never be able to win with your fantasy theory anywhere outside of that heads up $1 game with your brother. I think you have a shot against your brother because, my guess is that he shares some of your genes.

[/ QUOTE ]He will have to wear his brothers jeans if he plays poker like this, he wont have any money for his own. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 PM

YoungDro's brother is also his son. Theres been alot of inbreeding going on in that family for generations.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm speechless.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Another Darwin thread?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are brainwashed by Sklansky and the sheep that treat his books like the Bible and his rankings like the ten commanments!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank-you. I will now seek help to end this affliction.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome.
$1 to my Poker Stars account and I'll refer you to my father's girlfriend, who is an accomplished shrink with a PhD. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at least you got a reply from Mason himself. Not sure if it's worth more or less than $1 tho. I'll transfer you $1 if you tell me exactly what you were smoking...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:10 PM

OP is correct.

Extrapolating from his post, a hand like 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (YD number 81) should be quite an underdog to a hand like 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (YD number 117). What is interesting is that when I test this hypothesis by running "hot and cold" simulations on PokerStove or cardplayer.com, the simulator incorrectly assigns 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] the greater win probability (by a healthy margin, too: PS thinks pocket 9's are about a 7-to-3 favorite over A9).

In addition to its implications for what Sklansky might term "reverse domination" situations (o! the irony!), OP's system correctly implies that suited hands offer no advantages over offsuit hands, which should be intuitively obvious to all of you. (Clearly, it is just as good to have two chancese to make a four card flush as it is to have only one chance at a three-carder. (3-1=2; but 4-2=2 as well. Q.E.D.))

These examples support OP's assertion that much current poker thinking is incorrect: Sklansky has not only inadvertantly tricked many of the readers of these forums; indeed, his corrupting influence appears to have spread even to those computer programmers who design poker software.

To Y0ungdr0:

Thank you very much for your help! If you do manage to collect some donations, please let me know. I certainly believe your work deserves compensation.

Personally, I would most like to present my money to you "over the table", ideally by going all-in preflop in one or two heads-up NL situations your system has identified.

My thought is, we can reveal our hands preflop, and in order to assure that you receive your due, I will take the worst of it in any of the mismatch situations that you've discovered, EG by playing A6 against your K7. I really like this, because my donations will be in direct proportion to the value of your thoughts (especially over the course of the many hands I hope we can get in, so as to further my learning). Given the strength of your ideas and your great generosity in sharing them, I feel like no matter how much I end up eventually donating, I'll be getting one heck of a bargain!

I'll look you up next time I'm on PS. Thanks again for your terrific thoughts!

Warm regards,
Jogger
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 PM

Yep, sorry Dave Im gonna have a DS book burning now because I have seen the light.Does anyone else want to burn away years of DS hard work so we can follow YOUNGDRO? Sorry YOUNGDRO just havin some fun at you exspense.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A6 is supposedly dominant over K7, but A*6 = 84 and K*7 = 91. A difference of 7 by numerical advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget supposed, put this in pokerstove monte carlo and let it run a couple zillion hands and see what you get...
*cough* its about 19 "points" as you call them going the wrong way...
Dude if this was supposed to be funny, its not...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey youngdro. im going to trace your ip address and come over. by tomorrow you and your brothers bodies will be at the bottom of a river..

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.