Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Steps on Stars

I can't win a freaking Step 1 to save my life.
I've finished 3rd about 72 times.

I could just buy-in directly to step 2 or 3 of course but I kind of want to prove to myself that my SNG-groove has returned before tackling the big old Step 2's.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 AM

I'd guess it'd be largely driven by how the higher steps play - can people comment on how the 2s play vs 1s, 3s vs 2s, etc.?

Luck / running goot also has a lot to do with it. I'm 4 for 6 in 1's so far (including 1 stupid flameout) so my xperience has been pretty good so far - but someone else above wrote their hit rate was a lot lower om the 1's. Have also heard the 1's are landmines too vs. some of the donkish play with suckouts galore...

But yeah, any comments on how the various steps play would be great for those working their way up, if general observations for each even make sense...
Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I could just buy-in directly to step 2 or 3 of course but I kind of want to prove to myself that my SNG-groove has returned before tackling the big old Step 2's.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya I've basically determined that Step 1 is pretty much pointless.. okay let's assume I'm a S&G expert and I can get top 2 50% of the time.. so I'm spending $15 on a $27 ticket on avg, which is good.. but it takes like 60-70 minutes to complete.. so assuming I play like 4 of them at a time I can expect to get a $24 discount in an hour's time.. orrr you can just play your normal cash game at that time and assuming you're decent you can make up the discount and then some that way.. plus it gives you a guarantee of going on. Of course I didn't factor in the re-tries.. but point is I think playing your normal game is probably a better idea than playing the step 1's, minus micro stakes. At first I thought this would be easy if I start from step 1 and grind, but it seems to be a big time commitment and not easy to get all the way through.. though I still like it better than my other options, I just now realize I'll probably need to invest more than a couple hundred unless I run really good.

Alright so here's my suggestion for those who can afford it.

Start from Step 3. Why Step 3? Because the payout structure owns. 3-5th get a retry, which is incredible.. that means you can basically play really tight early, and then gamble it up a lot when you hit 5th.. I didn't play a hand my last time (card dead), and still managed 4th and a flip away from 2nd.. I think I was playing optimal strategy for that payout..do that enough times and you should win them at a good clip.. Step 4 on, well, just run good I guess..
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM

does anyone know when the steps will run until?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played like 10 and got 2 level two tickets and 1 retry.

I'm so used to playing the 6max sit n gos and 6max cash that i think i suck pretty hard at 9 man sitn gos. But its $7.50 so who cares
Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played like 10 and got 2 level two tickets and 1 retry.

I'm so used to playing the 6max sit n gos and 6max cash that i think i suck pretty hard at 9 man sitn gos. But its $7.50 so who cares

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's probably that you guys just aren't used to playing against people that suck this bad and you're giving them way too much credit.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Some of them have sucked...some of them have been half-decent...some of them suck-out on my AA with their 55 by hitting a 9876 board...some of them bust my KK with their AA...the list goes on.

I agree with the above poster that it's kind of silly time/money wise. I already realize this. But I'm using these as my 'training' of sorts and if I can't beat these then I have no business trying the higher steps anyway.
So sooner or later I'll stop bubbling out and will forge ahead.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM

If you were to take the act of qualifying the most seriously ("I *really* want to play this omgomg*!!!!)

I'd suspect the best way to approach it would be to run level 1s until you gather 9 level 2 tickets. Then run the 9 level 2s through. Repeat until 9 level 3 tickets, repeat process until level 5.

That said, you can assume your edge in each level. I, for one, assume I'm probably at least twice as equitable in levels 1-3, and each of these pay 2 spots. Thus 1 in every 2.25 attempts I should pass. Now let me assume my edge is closet to 1 in every 3 for 4 and 1 in 3.5 for 5. I'm never giving myself worse than even money.

Bleh I'm so math boggled already to estimate the total cost of expenditure; I do know it's less than 12k though :P.

That said, I really can't afford to attempt steps on this very devoted level.

Anyone wanna stake me in it? :P
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Why do you need to get so many tickets at each level?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:54 PM

MJBuddy, just works backwards...

You want 9 step 6 tickets.
-> ~32 step 5s at 1:3.5
-> 96 step 4s at 1:3
-> 216 step 3s at 1:2.25
-> 486 step 2s at 1:2.25
-> ~1095 step 1s at 1:2.25

So, on average, you'd need to play 1095 step 1s to get 9 step 6s (and win 1). That equals about $8212.50

Of course, you could always convince someone to take you as their guest so you get the hotel/meals for free, buy-in directly for 8k and save $212.50.

Of course, I'm still going to play these anyway because I'm a sucker.