Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Backing out of a deal in exchange for money is..
OK 68 86.08%
A scumbag move 7 8.86%
Results plz 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: B,B, or V?: lilholdem interview!

[ QUOTE ]
I hate saying this, but usually when you talk to someone about poker, you can tell if they are good or not. Saying stuff like you go by instinct is probably the most stupidest thing I ever heard. And if you are going to say I'm wrong on that, then maybe I should quit on life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea that poker skill is based on some great intellectual understanding is false, and the suggestion that people who can't articulate concepts and who claim to rely on instinct are necessarily bad means that you are probably pretty closed-minded/bad at poker and life.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate saying this, but usually when you talk to someone about poker, you can tell if they are good or not. Saying stuff like you go by instinct is probably the most stupidest thing I ever heard. And if you are going to say I'm wrong on that, then maybe I should quit on life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your idea that poker skill is based on some great intellectual understanding is false, and the suggestion that people who can't articulate concepts and who claim to rely on instinct are necessarily bad means that you are probably pretty closed-minded/bad at poker and life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea then I guess poker is all luck. There's no need to know math or that stuff. I guess we should all go by instinct. Lilholdem existence makes me want to quit poker and go lobby for a ban on poker and all gambling.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you seriously think that he's a winner after listening at him explain how he plays poker through that interview, then I don't know wtf poker is.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sorry, but I don't think you really know what tournament poker is. His logic seemed perfectly fine, even if he didn't express it well, and doesn't convert pot odds in his head the way most people do. He clearly figures out ranges of opponents, and his equity against those ranges very well. With that, an exact knowledge of pot odds isn't really needed anyway.

As an aside, this thread has set a record for making me ignore the most people. (not you barrin).
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea then I guess poker is all luck. There's no need to know math or that stuff. I guess we should all go by instinct. Lilholdem existence makes me want to quit poker and go lobby for a ban on poker and all gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? What did you think poker was up until this point, [censored] rocket science? After you learn it (and possibly even if you don't), there's relatively little to the math and science of the game and much more to the subtleties/instinct that make people longterm winners. Sorry your sense of intellectual superiority gets challenged by people like Chad, but poker ain't that complicated in academic terms.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:20 AM

Yea ok, maybe you are right Grey.

Maybe he does some wierd [censored] with pot odds instead.

I guess you don't need to be smart in real life to be good at poker.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Barrin I think you're wrong about basing a player's skill level on how well they can talk about poker in person. I bet there are several winning and even "professional" players that do not have much regard for the math aspect of poker. In fact, I would bet that most people's idea of math in poker is almost exactly like lilholdem's.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 AM

tell it like it is shaniac

barrin, wtf?
Old 08-04-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry but I can't hold back.

I'll be one of the brave one to say that lilholdem is not a winner at poker.. perioddd. Yea I know he's up money over the past 4.1k tournaments or watever.A high ROI over 4.1k donkaments means nothing to me. I still think people can luckbox over that amount of hands. I won't be surprise to see him bust soon.

If you seriously think that he's a winner after listening at him explain how he plays poker through that interview, then I don't know wtf poker is. I hate saying this, but usually when you talk to someone about poker, you can tell if they are good or not. Saying stuff like you go by instinct is probably the most stupidest thing I ever heard. And if you are going to say I'm wrong on that, then maybe I should quit on life.

Oh and no comments on how he dresses. He can dress like a tranny for all I care, the man gets to chose how he dresses, and people who make fun of him have their right to thier opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. i know i said i wouldn't open this again but it was just too damn tempting. to those of you who have disagreed with me and called me ignorant and whatnot, the irony of your insults is golden. if you opposed my views on lilholdem, which i admit were somewhat harsh since i don't know him personally, you simply should have defended him. instead, you took the same route i supposedly went, and attacked me. ever heard of ad hominem? i made some comments about what kind of person it seemed he was, and if someone knows different and wanted to dispute that, fine. you say i have no right to insult someone i don't know? well then what the [censored] gives you the right to defend people you don't know? or to insult me, someone you don't know either? if someone that really does know him well comes on here and says i'm wrong, fine, i'll shut up. i just think it's hilarious that you think i'm ignorant or a piece of [censored] or whatever for insulting someone, and then you pretty much do the same thing towards me. some of you guys are so [censored] pathetic, picking out people on here that you THINK you're smarter than and attempting to belittle them by coming up with witty phrases and weak insults. something tells me you got picked on too much in high school. at least i reserved judgement to form an opinion on someone until i saw them and heard them speak. back to the topic, i agree with the above post. i think that someone that plays basketball or football can have a natural, instinctal skill and not know how to articulate it a LOT easier than a poker player. the difference obviously being poker is entirely mental. i realize some people go more on feel than math, but christ either way you should at least be able to describe it, i.e. instead of calculating pot odds, number of outs, or fold equity, talk about reading players, looking for tells, changing gears, etc. and basically, all we got out of the interview was duhhhhh IDK. i know i'm overusing this analogy, but even a superstar baseball player who just KNOWS deep down how to hit the ball, but just can't articulate it... even that guy can say, "well, the pitcher pitches the ball, and i hit it with the bat". for lilholdem, that would be like analyzing poker to a degree of infinity. listen, i will admit i was a little harsh on the kid. i put an extreme emphasis on education and frankly i can't see why anyone wouldn't, so his story was just disturbing to me.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Total played for Stars,Party,Full Tilt, Paradise: 4150
Total estimated profit according to OPR: $1,026,585
(Note: these profit numbers tend to be higher than the truth as the sites that track them cannot keep an accurate record of the amount of rebuys bought in rebuy tourneys, therefore they typically use the average number of rebuys according to the prize pool)
Big Cashes:

Party Million - 3rd for $57561
Party Million - 1st for $210000
Full Tilt $535 - 1st for $212894

Total from big cashes: $480,455

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked to see how many big field/ big payout tournaments he has went deep in but, like, somehow caught the other side of varience? I guess that might debunk your argument a little.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Total played for Stars,Party,Full Tilt, Paradise: 4150
Total estimated profit according to OPR: $1,026,585
(Note: these profit numbers tend to be higher than the truth as the sites that track them cannot keep an accurate record of the amount of rebuys bought in rebuy tourneys, therefore they typically use the average number of rebuys according to the prize pool)
Big Cashes:

Party Million - 3rd for $57561
Party Million - 1st for $210000
Full Tilt $535 - 1st for $212894

Total from big cashes: $480,455

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you checked to see how many big field/ big payout tournaments he has went deep in but, like, somehow caught the other side of varience? I guess that might debunk your argument a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless he has like 40+ top 3 table finishes in 4k+ entrant tourneys it really doesn't change anything.