Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: aba caught bluffing against bobby baldwin in 1.8mil pot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I played in the game a few times and Brian was in great shape in that game, and seemed to be playing the best. Getting off to a lead in the first few sessions was huge, and Brian could have easily ended up winning between 10 and 20 million dollars by the end of the Series.
Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Take that, Johnny Hughes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahhh...sounds like Brian would have been better served with more "weights" on his hands to keep same from pushing chips in on a doomed bluff while Barryg and Bobby would have preferred for Brian to have more "weights" on his feet to keep same from leaving the big game.

Edit: Dangit. This post pushed me from my preferred status of stranger to the despicable tag of newbie. I shall loathe to ever post again. Oh well, back to lurking/listening/learning...and playin' poker. lol
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
only a moron would win a million dollars at a cash game and then turn around and give the gov't 40% of it.

you keep the damn $400,000 and use it as part of your bankroll so that you can make more.

you pay taxes on your tourney winnings and other earnings only because you have no choice.

maybe when you hit the age of 50 do you give uncle sam "the world's biggest strong arm thief" a cut of your winnings. maybe 10% at the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh???

[/ QUOTE ]

come on dude, i would guess that 99% of cash game players underpay their taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am just a regular joe that plays online for fun, let me ask you guys, do you guys pay taxes on your winnings? I just assumed you did, I mean all income is taxable and if you have have a job or if you make $8,450 or more from your winnings/employment, you have to file. So don't most file? I mean it would be pretty dumb for these guys not to, I mean you can see how much and who won on most online tournys, I would figure the IRS would find it pretty easy to verify that you made a certain amount if you were audited. Cash games of course would be harder, but hell all you have to do is look at the UB Leaderboard and you can figure if someone is constantly in the top 20, they are making over $8,450 from their winnings. Sure you may lose it all back, but that would mean you still would have to file. So do most online players file/claim their winnings on their taxes? Maybe it's a dumb question.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, online money has a clear paper trail.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 PM

I can't read NVG and play poker at the same time. Reading johnnyhughes posts tilts me.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:55 PM

obv more setting up by Barry :P

seriously, nice post and thanks a lot for sharing the info

For everybody who is so surprised at the call with the nuts: Aba is never full potting anything besides the nuts or a bluff in this spot, that is just how omaha workst. What lesser hand do you guys think he'd pot? a set? lol. A lower straight? lol. Only AK / bluff. And what worse hand should Baldwin call with if we had the second nuts like K9? A queen high straight? Just doesnt happen. So Baldwin is not giving up value by calling, nor does he want to 'see Aba's cards' because i can't for the world imagine he wouldve asked to see them or he wouldve pulled the biggest slowroll in history. Only possible value for him is when Aba wouldve misread his hand, and that would have been one of the greatest poker stories in the world. "I thought i had the ace but it was a four. Never bothered to recheck to not give tells. Bummer, cost me a million."

On the other hand, a raise by Baldwin and aba having to fold for a few chips (or flags, or $100k's / whatever) would have had a very different effect on Aba, even though i can't predict whether it is more or less humiliating, i guess this is different for everybody.

Anyway, everybody can see Aba has either AKxx or nothing, so calling by Bobby to show he knew Aba was bluffing is kinda useless.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing at the adjacent table when that hand came down. It was a nice deep-stack decision by Bobby to never reraise. We usually play with a cap or where someone will be all-in on the turn, so a reraise with the nuts is often the normal thing to do.

After Brian left, Bobby claimed he didn't reraise because he wanted to show that he knew Brian was bluffing the whole way. That's obviously easy for Bobby to say after the hand is over. However, on that board, it would be hard for Brian to call a reraise without the nuts, and it would be rare for Brian to bet with anything other than the nuts or a bluff.

I played in the game a few times and Brian was in great shape in that game, and seemed to be playing the best. Getting off to a lead in the first few sessions was huge, and Brian could have easily ended up winning between 10 and 20 million dollars by the end of the Series.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for posting this Barry. I hope it calms some of the remarks about the hand and the game.

That said, I have two observations from my point of view. If I am playing good, and doing well in a game, and I make a large bluff into someone and get called- if I have to get up and leave after that hand because of the demoralizing and/or sickening effect it had on me, I would know that I was playing too big. The positive to this is that Brian left the table when he felt this way, where as a lot of players dont have the discipline to do so. I'm sure Brian has played with $350,000 in front of him from time to time online, but it's a huge jump from there to $1,000,000, which it sounds like he had as he still had chips left after that hand.

I'm not directing these assumptions just at Brian. I doubt there's more than a handful of poker players, strictly poker players, who can comfortably play in a game with $1,000,000 behind them and not experience the aftermath that Brian did after that big hand. But, such is the nature of the beast. It happens at all stakes. From the stakes you guys play at to the guys who take shots at 25/50.

Barry, if you read this, I'd like very much if you would offer your opinion on how good of a PLO player Sammy is. I've always heard from the people who have played with him that he is one of the best in the world. My opinion was that he would be a favorite HU against all but perhaps one or two other players.

Again, thank you for your post. I enjoy hearing your stories and your opinions.

-Tex
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM

i dont see any reason not to push except some sort of pseudo gentlemen's rule. there is always a chance that aba calls with a worse hand and nothing is ever lost by pushing.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:14 AM

I don't know if you guys play a lot of deep stacked live PLO, but on that river everyone in that game will know that Bobby will NEVER EVER NEVER raise the river w/o the nuts and Brian would never be betting the river w/o the nuts or a stone cold bluff... Obviously from an EV standpoint there is always that small chance that something crazy could happen and you should raise, but I have seen this happen a lot of times with the old guys I play PLO with...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry, if you read this, I'd like very much if you would offer your opinion on how good of a PLO player Sammy is. I've always heard from the people who have played with him that he is one of the best in the world. My opinion was that he would be a favorite HU against all but perhaps one or two other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already on the record on Sammy.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you guys play a lot of deep stacked live PLO, but on that river everyone in that game will know that Bobby will NEVER EVER NEVER raise the river w/o the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

how come? do people never pull a "strassa" in plo?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's already on the record on Sammy.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey dali, just curious, did you get my pm a while back?

i never heard back and wasnt sure if i hit submit+preview and then didn't hit submit again.