Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: O/U on Number of current/ future felons playing in this game.
over 13 14 66.67%
13 or Under 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Restaurant refuses to sing happy bday to 6 yr old

suzzler,

"best of Cortz"

I'm afraid that's not possible. DOOCEY?

Hey, at least he's drawn enough attention that he has a thread about him.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the kids fault, but I always found it odd that a bunch of adults are forced to act like dancing monkeys to make a kid happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that when I'm at a restaurant and get disrupted by the serving staff singing happy birthday to somebody, 50%+ of the time they're singing to an adult. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not the kids fault, but I always found it odd that a bunch of adults are forced to act like dancing monkeys to make a kid happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is that when I'm at a restaurant and get disrupted by the serving staff singing happy birthday to somebody, 50%+ of the time they're singing to an adult. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like being a waiter wasn't a [censored] enough job before.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Woah, at talking about the alcohol bill and also comparing this with other stores analogies. (except for the ice cream cone one)

Two things that very heavily swing this in favor of the father.

--He still tipped 20%.

--The restaurant didn't even mark the dessert with a candle.

This points to Dad remaining cool headed, and the restaurant, in addition to just flat out having horrible in house communication about their own policy, didn't even attempt to play down the situation with whatever niceties they could come up with in the moment. That is pretty much the skill in the restaurant business in every situation.

Quick, efficient, under pressure, nice. The waiter, at the very least, should've taken that upon himself to just try and save whatever face he could for the place.

I had been wondering about the tip, and then read about the lack of even a candle, so to me, looks like Dad comes out a winnar here, just based on how both parties handled the situation.

And earlier, about Dad calling ahead, it wasn't so much that he should've been expected to here, its a family type place that has done it in the past, just more of a: if you want to be 100% sure about anything at a restaurant, no matter what it is, you best call ahead and confirm.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Just skimmed the thread and didn't see any posts looking at this from the practical perspective:

Of course the owner is within his rights not to sing HB at his restaurant any more, but it would seem to make sense to make an exception THIS ONE TIME, because the hostess said they did. Then, tell all the staff and/or post a sign on the door that says "NO MORE SINGING HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR WORTHLESS SPOILED BRATS", except nicer.

No matter who's right or wrong, none of the people at this table will ever go to that restaurant again, and that's not good business.

It's not like they were hurling their feces around the restaurant or something, they just asked politely for the restaurant to honor what was previously agreed to.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 PM

guids/Blarg -

You are driving down the street, seeking out the perfect Asian Massage Parlor to celebrate an important milestone in your life.

You drive up to the first establishment, one that you've frequented previously, and ask the receptionist if you can get a happy ending. She says absolutely.

You get your little rub down, and when you ask for the whipped cream and cherry on top, she gives you the stink eye and walks out.

Now you're down for the price of the message, and your ending was decidedly not happy.

You find an authority figure, and let her know that the mouthpiece of the organization promised you'd get your just desserts. They tell you that they are trying to change their image into a respectable house of massage, and if you wanted to get a little Happy Birthday, you should check out the toothless skank in the gutter.

Are you annoyed?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is crazy and I'd be curious to see the responses if the thread had been:

"I was going to propose to my girlfriend at our favorite restaurant. I made reservations and the hostess assured me that the waiter would deliver the ring in a champagne glass with dessert. Then when dessert arrived, there was no ring, and the waiter just shrugged and said 'we don't do that anymore, sorry'. I asked to see the manager and he said they no longer do that. Should I be pissed?"

Seriously, once the hostess confirms they're going to sing, the dad should totally expect them to sing. And, if I remember being a 6 year old kid who saw a restaurant three times a year, it was a big deal for the waiters to sing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is about the only analogy that seems on point. Also, I don't think a comp'd dessert makes up for anything. Comping an adult when u eff up is often perfectly acceptable as an adult feels better when they get something for free. But the kid was always going to get dessert, it doesn't matter to him if his dad has to pay for it or not. And it doesn't help the dad either to comp the dessert as the money wasn't important but rather the chance to do something special that his kid wanted on the kid's birthday

I really want to believe that the other side of this debate is one big multi-troll conspiracy and it sucks that this is probably not the case
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM

hahaha. brandi is right. l
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Restaurant owner sucks at life. Party of eight should have sung it at the top of their lungs and told the owner to [censored] off.

I hate being sung to, but I'm not a 6yo attention whore.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:51 PM

I'm not going to read through all the (most likely crappy) advice already given.

OP, this is the only correct play: